Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci Fi Generator WIP

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
http://vimeo.com/28439957
just trying to make a nice prop, high and low and texture it and bring it into the UDK. Trying to get a nice sci-fi generator while still keeping it recognizable

working on the low poly now

Replies

• dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not even a single comment? :(
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Settle down! It's only been two hours and you posted it at a time when most of the US artists are going to be asleep and the European artists are just waking up or at work. Also there's no media like screenshots in the actual thread here. That will put off a lot of people from even looking at it since they have to click on the vimeo link and watch the video.

Anyway, the generator looks nice. The high poly is nice and clean but the shape isn't that interesting. It's just a box with a curved tube coming out of it pretty much. Not much else to crit on until you start texturing it.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    It looks decent, though some even medium res screen shots would be better for critique than the turnaround video.

Any concept you're basing off of?
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that execution its ok. Now if I give you my personal opinion. I think its way too boxy.
    Yes I know its a power generator. But the shape/model doesnt stand out as all the detail is embeded in a box in the end. Try pushing the concept further and playing more with the form. Well I guess its a bit late as its done. But might serve you as advice in the future. Doing sci fi you can explore more shapes/forms. If you are basing on a photo ref thats justified. But it says sci fi thats why I said that.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    No pics, no crits!

But yeah looks ok for what it is, the tube could have a more interesting shape, there's no weight to it at the moment, and you could try adding some subtle extrusions to get away from the box aspect.
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    i think the modelling looks nice.

the tube running out the side of it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, obviously it's "sci fi" so it doesn't have to, but given it's just one box, they would stuff that tubing inside to make it transportable/tidy, along with its other mechanics. i just can't relate to it. i'd personally remove it, it looks to forced.

good luck.
  • GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    Like other, it's too boxy right now and as Bal said, the tube needs some weight.

I'm not sure about the "frame" all around the model, it seems fragile, useless and because of the gap will add polys for the low. I would say delete this frame or get rid of this gap.
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for all the crits guys, i appreciate it! @gosss the reason i was thinking for the frame was kinda for easy transport because generators definitely arent light and so if it's in a frame then the frame can be used for better gripping and holding, tying down to something when transporting and whatnot, but i also see your reasoning

@ Maze im not sure what i can really do with the silhouette, i know everyrhing needs a good interesting silhouette to really look good but I actually got the idea from an artists site www.mattturner.us i saw his halo reach generator and it made me want to make a genny so im really going to have to explore this some more, i think i may finish this one just to finish it and then maybe revamp it, more practice :)
  • riddlaz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with some of the others in this thread when it comes to using the word sci-fi to describe one of you're props. I was expecting to see something more like this:

http://linuxgamingnews.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/generator_room.jpg

That has a more interesting shape and detail, staying with primitive shapes is not the best way to make an interesting prop.
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you're right, i guess i could have said "futuristic" instead, i definitely agree with you guys, you've all helped me a lot thanks!
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Their isnt much sci fi about this. It looks like I could buy it at home depot. Its a box. Boxes are boring. Break that silhouette to make it far more interesting.
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    definitely doing that thanks!