Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Jake Oliver, Prop/Environment Artist

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
Hey guys,
Just started working on making up my portfolio site, It's mainly got work I've done in the last year in it, with a focus on prop/environment stuff.

Does the site itself work? I was thinking of adding a bit of 'click for more' text on the images, but i'm not sure if its needed or not.

http://www.mystichobo.com/

Cheers,
Jake

Replies

• paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    Hey,

Site works nicely, I haven't clicked on every last thing but everything seems to take you to where it tells you it will. You may actually want to spend a bit of time on each page explaining how you created things, what you used to render the scene/props with - are they in game, etc?
    For that environment piece you will definitely want to pull out a couple models, show us their wireframes, texture maps, tri counts, etc. People want to see how you create things, what shortcuts you took, where you decided to put your focus/details, what choices you made and why you chose to make things the way you did, what pieces are unique, what is instanced?

As for the work itself, I like the environment. I think it's pretty monochromatic but you do try to bring some colour in with your lights, I think you could however do more with your textures. There's no real focal point and it's really hard to tell what's actually going on. What's the story behind this place? Show us some of it's history. Who lives here? How do they live here? If it wasn't for the title I'm not sure I'd pick up on the fact that the whole town was floating on the clouds. Bioshock Infinite does something similar. Their environments are so rich with history, story, a clear guiding theme. It looks like you tried to make an environment which was abandoned, but why was it abandoned? What happened? These are all things you should be asking before you start on an environment.

A little story goes a long way and adds so much to an environment.

The Splash Damage art test turned out nicely. Some of the scratches seem a bit arbitrary, and I think you could do more with the spec, but that dark metal material came out nice. The High Poly though is well executed.

Your texture maps, however, are extremely hard to read, it would be nice if you could separate them out individually or in a different way than you are currently.

I won't comment on the gun as other's will have much better advice than I could ever pretend to give.

The rock looks nice. There are some parts that are a bit soft and blobby, but that's not a huge issue. The texture map layout however is pretty terrible. You're wasting almost half of the map when you don't need to be.

It's a good start for a portfolio. There's still a lot of room for improvement but I think you are on a good track. Keep posting your progress up on Polycount. It's honestly one of the best ways to get critique and improve.
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bit of a late reply, but thanks for the comments Paul, were very helpful :)

I've just recently done a fairly major update to the site, with work that I did while at my internship and also more of my personal work. I've also culled what I deemed to be my older/weaker props and replaced them with work that I believe better shows my current ability.

Does anyone have any suggestions for places to apply to? I'm currently located in Brisbane, but have recently been granted a 2 year working visa for the UK :)

Thanks,
    Jake
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A bit of a 24hr bump, slid off the front page pretty quick (was a silly idea commenting on other peoples threads right? :P )
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    The portfolio looks nice! Pretty solid, no confusion in getting to see the work :)

Overall I feel like you don't put enough love into your scenes. You work out composition and everything but you don't take it all the way.

http://www.mystichobo.com/images/abovetheclouds3.jpg

I mean look at this screenshot. Brick pillar which pretty much is a cube? It's something you put together in less than 1 minute. There are straight lines everywhere, nothing is skewed even a little which makes it look very artificial. Very big issues with texel-density, Honestly I would take it out completely, that would leave your portfolio in a much better state :)

The HedgeKnight project is nicer, but it still feels unfinished. Maybe work even more to blend the foreground, middleground and background. The mountains needs more love to make them look more natural, maybe some more detail on the castle and bushes and trees on the field leading up to the castle.

- My advice would be to plan a new scene, work out everything you need to make it look great and how to achieve the look you're going for. I don't mean to be harsh but it's a really competitive industry.

Work hard, post more work on the forums, get crits and learn new things all the time :) Watch tutorials while eating, that's a great thing to do. :) I wish you the best of luck finding a job!
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The portfolio looks nice! Pretty solid, no confusion in getting to see the work :)

Overall I feel like you don't put enough love into your scenes. You work out composition and everything but you don't take it all the way.

http://www.mystichobo.com/images/abovetheclouds3.jpg

I mean look at this screenshot. Brick pillar which pretty much is a cube? It's something you put together in less than 1 minute. There are straight lines everywhere, nothing is skewed even a little which makes it look very artificial. Very big issues with texel-density, Honestly I would take it out completely, that would leave your portfolio in a much better state :)

The HedgeKnight project is nicer, but it still feels unfinished. Maybe work even more to blend the foreground, middleground and background. The mountains needs more love to make them look more natural, maybe some more detail on the castle and bushes and trees on the field leading up to the castle.

- My advice would be to plan a new scene, work out everything you need to make it look great and how to achieve the look you're going for. I don't mean to be harsh but it's a really competitive industry.

Work hard, post more work on the forums, get crits and learn new things all the time :) Watch tutorials while eating, that's a great thing to do. :) I wish you the best of luck finding a job!

Hey Chris,thanks for the crits!
    You are right about the Above the Clouds scene, going back and looking at it, it is very much not representative of my current skill level (it was done early last year).

I've spent the last couple of evenings going over and refining the Hedge Knight scene, does this look a bit better?
    tweaky5.jpg

For reference, here's the old one:
    hedgeknight1.jpg

I've also been deciding on what to do next: would a sci-fi scene be too cliched?
    I started working on a scene based on this concept from deus ex a while back, that I'm thinking of going over and finishing. Here's where I am at with it.
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys! Tiny bump, I've fairly comprehensively updated my portfolio, has a totally new design and a some new work :)

Does anyone have any suggestions for places to apply at in the UK?
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 14
    The Splash Damage building art test is showing texture stretching on the bricks, that's a big no no for an environment, espically when thats right in the viewer's face.

The site is pretty cool and easy to navigate, you are deffo' set up on that front.
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Bear wrote: »
    The Splash Damage building art test is showing texture stretching on the bricks, that's a big no no for an environment, espically when thats right in the viewer's face.

The site is pretty cool and easy to navigate, you are deffo' set up on that front.

Heh, they aren't actually bricks; as is shown in the material breakdowns it's actually laminated wood, like this:
    The-Vesu-Restaurant-with-Contemporary-Design-in-San-Francisco-by-Arcsine-Architecture-and-Bellusci-Design.jpg

Hence the name; "The Boathouse"
  • North
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    North polycounter lvl 7
    Im reading that as 'brick with poor spec' I would lose it.
  • Cap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap triangle
    mystichobo wrote: »
    Heh, they aren't actually bricks; as is shown in the material breakdowns it's actually laminated wood, like this:
    The-Vesu-Restaurant-with-Contemporary-Design-in-San-Francisco-by-Arcsine-Architecture-and-Bellusci-Design.jpg

Hence the name; "The Boathouse"

When I looked at that splash damage test building, I immediately thought "oh look stretched bricks". Even with the title "The Boat House" on the side of the building I never would have thought those were wood planks. I would work on either changing it to a brick texture, or work harder on trying to get the point across that its wood. What you have right now isnt really communicating the material its supposed to be, and honestly a first impression of "ugh stretched bricks...oh wait...its wood?" isnt a good thing. Not saying you cant have wooden planks on a building like that (clearly your ref says that sort of thing exists) but most people would be expecting bricks, and if you have something that looks like bad stretched bricks instead of what its supposed to be, then the whole "different from the rest" aspect is going to get flung out the window.
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback, it is very much appreciated.
    I'll look into fixing that scene tomorrow morning.

I'm might have to do it in CE or marmoset though, as the place I'm staying in has pretty horrid internet (like if you try and download anything, it just breaks the internet in general,like nothing else, bar the download works), and I don't have a copy of UDK on my laptop.
    Would this be an issue? Would it be better to try and obtain a copy of UDK? (I don't have the original scene on me so I'd have to recreate all the materials and everything from scratch anyway)
  • Barnhill8
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Barnhill8 wrote: »
    Good pointwww.cleaningcassette.com

I like how the spambots are still here, but their urls are just hidden now :P

Anyway, I've reworked that Splash Damage Test in CE3, and the wood has been redone with a lot of the suggestions given to me on IRC.

Thanks,
    Jake
  • WesleyTack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WesleyTack polycounter lvl 7
    I think as an environment artist the best thing you can do is post full level shots and not just a scene. But creating full levels takes longer of course, but down the line it should speed up the process of landing a job. It also shows that you don't only look at the art but also are able to design a level from scratch.