Home General Discussion

Steve Jobs resigns as CEO of Apple

Replies

• wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    I knew he was ill but I didnt expect this.
  • Cexar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cexar polycounter lvl 6
    Unexpected but interesting. Can someone really mantle the same role as he had? I mean the reality distortion field is a good given gift for Apple :)
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    wow... I wonder what's going to happen now. Can't say i didn't see this coming, we all know he has cancer.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    It'll be interesting to see what happens from here.. I do wonder though about putting putting the COO as the CEO. The guy is esentially an accounting and salesman...
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it's not the right time to be cynical about Jobs and this situation. Whatever one thinks about Apple and their practices, it's not right to make fun of anyone's health...
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Say what you want, the dude knew how to give people what they wanted, even if it was what he told them they wanted.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Wonder if he'll still get a staff discount on an iphone 5.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Say what you want, the dude knew how to give people what they wanted, even if it was what he told them they wanted.

Truest statement ever. He was one hell of a salesman/businessman.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    vargatom wrote: »
    I think it's not the right time to be cynical about Jobs and this situation. Whatever one thinks about Apple and their practices, it's not right to make fun of anyone's health...

I don't think anyone was making fun of his health...

My dad died of pancreatic cancer, I'm surprised Steve lasted this long, it's not a type of cancer that gets alot of publicity so there isn't alot of money devoted into treatments.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    Out of all the things to be concerned about you are wondering if he gets employee discounts on a company he helped start and get successful...I don't even:shifty:

Yeah I was being sarcastic dumbass.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8myek_1984-macintosh-introduction-by-stev_tech

I'm not a fan of the guy, his work practices or any of his non-handheld products, but the video might be of interest to some. He's really aged...
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    I honestly can't stand Apple or the way they sell their image, but I wish the man the very best. My grandmother and grandfather died of cancer. He's earned a break, some rest, and time to devote to whatever he wishes.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea not many people bounce back from pancreatic cancer. Considering the lengths he had to go to get a new liver and how thin he was looking the last time he was seen out in public, I think things are looking pretty bad... That a side I think he gets too much credit and too much focus. He's pretty much been nonexistent and a figure head in name only for what the last decade?

"Jobs, created the ipod, the ipad, the iphone the mac the mac OS the iOS bla bla bla" actually he just lead the company that created those things the people who don't get the proper credit created those things. For all they seem to get right they also blow an awful lot. There are times I wish apple devices would just do something other than look pretty and break.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Not really a fan of him or the management style he's supposed to have but you gotta give him credit for pulling the brand out of the mud again.

Whoever follows him has a lot of cash to spend, that's for sure. Gotta be a real moron to drive this car into the wall with all that money at hands...
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    Yea not many people bounce back from pancreatic cancer. Considering the lengths he had to go to get a new liver and how thin he was looking the last time he was seen out in public, I think things are looking pretty bad... That a side I think he gets too much credit and too much focus. He's pretty much been nonexistent and a figure head in name only for what the last decade?

"Jobs, created the ipod, the ipad, the iphone the mac the mac OS the iOS bla bla bla" actually he just lead the company that created those things the people who don't get the proper credit created those things. For all they seem to get right they also blow an awful lot. There are times I wish apple devices would just do something other than look pretty and break.

Steve is such a big part of the Apple brand that you can only end up with associating him with the products.

While he's not my favorite person in the world, I can't deny the contributions him and his company has given to the pc and entertainment world. I'm on mistaken he's also a co-founder of Pixar right?
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @zpanzer: Yeah he was the money guy who saw that this "three dee animation" might have a future, where people like George Lucas scoffed and moved on.

But yeah, can't blame him for resigning. Now is probably a good time to get apple stocks, though.
  • confracto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    confracto polycounter lvl 11
    reminds me of Jack Layton last month.

here's hoping he gets better.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Here's hoping his successor finally realises that they could do a whole lot better in the personal computer space if they offered a machine that sat comfortably between mobile and server hardware.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    I was surprisingly sad to hear this, last night. I'm not an apple fanboy, but I do like their products, and their push for design and development. I think Jobs played a big part in where apple are, now.

Whilst Jobs feels like he's not able to be CEO, he's still able to be chairman of the board there, so I'm not sure what that implies, with regards to his health.

Talking about the company - Last I'd heard, Jonny Ive was considering leaving the company too; His contract had run it's course, and he's publicly said that he wants to raise his kids in England. With Jobs stepping down, and Ive leaving, I can't say that I'm hopeful of apple's future.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    that sucks

not a huge apple fan, but they take the tech in the right direction - the cool direction..however much you can credit that to jobs...hopefully they can continue to do the same...
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Geez guys, he didn't die (yet). I hope he actually has many more years, but gets to now enjoy them without the pressure of running Apple. Unfortunately, he was looking very frail at the last presentation he did.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Without Steve Jobs there would be no Pixar, and no one can debate that. Can you imagine a world without Toy Story, Finding Nemo and the like? Scary. I love Steve Jobs for the sole purpose of Pixar bringing me some of my favorite movies of all time. Although he didn't have any creative input [John Lasseter shout out].
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I wanna know how much hes actually done lately. no arguing he did alot before, but lately, how much of it was him, and how much of it was his company... the little guys. Seriously. He started it all, yes. But just because hes the face of the company doesnt mean he actually did any of it. Just presents it. I love my iphone4. But there are tons of TALENTED people working for apple. Designing, researching, creating... and yet i doubt anyone will give a damn if any of them retire. just my two cents
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Wow, I hope everything works out for him.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I hope he gets rid of his health problems.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Fuck Cancer.

I don't care what he has or has not done... Fuck Cancer.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    The real question here is...who's going to be Apple's new face man. Pixar will be fine, they've never really needed a visual representative for their company. They have a stable of popular animated characters for that. Their management is stable enough that they can get on just fine without Jobs at the forefront.

But Apple is another story. Apple benefited from having a powerful personality like Steve Jobs on board. And he's been working as their public presence for years. I would imagine that the day-to-day operations for Apple will barely be affected by his retirement. But what about the next Apple conference? That's when Jobs' absence will have an effect. They are going to need to find someone with enough charisma to take over his duties as Apple's spokesman. (or perhaps spokeswoman?)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The real question here is...who's going to be Apple's new face man.
    That's already been announced, some guy called Tim Cook or something?
    Pixar will be fine, they've never really needed a visual representative for their company.

What? I have never associated Steve Jobs with Pixar, even though I know of their relationship. Pixar has had a 'visual representative' since forever, in the form of John Lasseter.
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    Andreas wrote: »
    That's already been announced, some guy called Tim Cook or something?

What? I have never associated Steve Jobs with Pixar, even though I know of their relationship. Pixar has had a 'visual representative' since forever, in the form of John Lasseter.

Gotta admit that I never saw John Lasseter as a front person for Pixar, I know he's the big guy, but I have never appointed one single face on Pixar like Steve has been for Apple.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer wrote: »
    Gotta admit that I never saw John Lasseter as a front person for Pixar, I know he's the big guy, but I have never appointed one single face on Pixar like Steve has been for Apple.

I agree (until recently that is, as John Lasseter seems to be in more and more videos about Pixar these days) but aside from that John Lasseter is far more recognisable as a Pixar representative than Steve Jobs.

I dislike them both, mind you. ;)