Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mateba Model 6 Unica, highpoly

TrevorJ
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
Hey PC, so iv been chipping away at this on my spare time, trying not to forget how to model, not doing much at work.

The highpoly is pretty much done, so i thought it was time to post it here for critiques. Iv got one comment already saying it looked a little too thin, let me know what you guys think, right now the handle is still very blobby.

Also what's the best workflow for lowpoly for something like this? I'm going to start mostly from the high and start deleting edges etc.

How do you guys go about it? Im looking at you Pedro Amorim! hah, your revolver was awesome, and a huge inspiration for starting this, as well as all the Brink stuff from 3point.

anywho.

TrevorJ_Mateba_HighRes.jpg

mateba357magaimacekf7.jpg

l1_pistols_mateba_6_unica_autorevolver_.44_magnum_43279.jpg

k165212_mateba%20.357%208%20inch%20barrel.jpg

Thanks!

Replies

• c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    this gun is crazy, nice highpoly dude!
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Wowz, that is a gorgeous highpoly.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generally, I mix a bit of both reducing edges from the sub-d cage, and remodeling things from scratch. I do it on a per-object sort of basis depending on how complex the area of the high is, IE: if it will be faster to just remodel it, as is often the case when there is a highly detailed area with a simple silhouette and of course visa verse when there is a simple area with a highly detailed silhouette, I will just reduce from the cage.
  • Free_Fall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Free_Fall polycounter lvl 8
    pew pew, cant wait to see a lowpoly mnodel!
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks EQ, that's what I was thinking it would probably be. I was actually just looking at your Mateba thread, I hadn't seen it yet, amazing shtuff.
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    little slow as this is a spare time project, the lowpoly and bake is pretty much done. It's not super low, 6735 tris, but meh. The bake looks pretty solid in maya(where it was baked) but there seems to be some slight errors that show up in Toolbag.

I triangulated before baking, as i heard toolbag can import with different quad splitting. UDK i get mostly the same errors. Everything is averaged normals right now, should i harden the normals on the edges of the UV islands? Or is it just a question of more support edges? Thanks for any help.

screenshot4.jpg

The areas i'm talking about are the flat area behind the bracket with the screw in it on the frame, among some others. Looking at it now, it might be because there are so many small triangles terminating there.

screenshot0.jpg

screenshot2.jpg
  • Sparkwire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire polycounter lvl 9
    Long thin triangles are usually pretty bad with smoothing. Hopefully it shouldn't be too hard to fix the errors.
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update, started texturing, having a hard time. I know most of the material definition of this type of metal is brought through the spec. I guess the diffuse is just for diffuse dirt and variation in metal color? Went a little too rough on the sandpaper on the edges i think as well. Haven't started most of the back and handle yet, its going to be wood.

Any critique is very welcome.

texture_start2.jpg

texture_start1.jpg

DIFFUSE
    Diffuse2048.jpg

SPEC
    Spec2048.jpg

Looking at them together now, i think i need more contrast in the specular, but i'm not sure.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah I think you could push the specular a bit more honestly. Really great work :) Looking really good!
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, let this project slip for quite a while, was doing sculpting and stuff, busy at work, blah blah.

Broad stroke texture stuff here, haven't really got into the edge wear and character adding stuff. Although i don't want to give it that sandpapered look. Any input on how to add some flare to this piece would be appreciated. Was thinking scrollwork, but I dunno. Trying to think about the human contact points, moving parts and how they affect the surfaces right now.

C&C welcome
    FirstTexturePass.jpg
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calling this one pretty much done, didn't get a lot of feedback on the last version. I felt like any more texture details I was adding to it was just making it look more and more beat up, which is not the look I wanted, so i'm going to put it down.
    Thinking of maybe putting some kind of under slung flash-light on it. Not in the immediate future though.

FinalTextureLowpoly.jpg
  • Docm30
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Docm30 polycounter lvl 10
    Looks really cool, but I honestly liked the previous version better; I think it's too light and desaturated currently and some of the white edging is working against the normal-mapped edges (especially on the hammer). Your specular could use some more colour-variation, as well.

I'd say it's only a few tweaks before it's finished.
  • Illusive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive polycounter lvl 8
    hot damn! looks crazy!
  • nicafornica
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nicafornica polycounter lvl 7
    i cannot stop cumming. fecking nice highpoly and lo poly as well. the last metal looks amazing.