Home Technical Talk

no gloss maps in sdk 1/2?

JoseConseco
greentooth
Offline / Send Message
JoseConseco greentooth
I'm new to crysis sdk so sorry if this is dumb question.
It seems to me that there in no option for gloss maps. There is specular power, glossiness slider but no gloss texture.

There it checkbox - glossMapDiffAlpha but it works as specular reflection power/color.
So is there way to texture gloss map in crysis mod sdk 2 ?

Or maybe it dosen't support it because of deffered lighning limitation of rendering variable specular reflections?

Replies

• IxenonI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator
    save the glossmap as alpha in your specular map. Enable per pixel specular shinyness in the shader checkbox.
  • WhiteNorthStar
    agree with lxenonl, this item is briefly touched on in Eat 3d's Introduction to Cryengine Vol. 3 video tutorial, chapter 41 (I just watched it today).

Put your gloss map is in your specular map's alpha channel
    Enable PerPixel Specular Shinines tickbox* in the Shader Generation Params of your material.

* It is really spelled like this. Regarding gloss maps, there is an error in CryENGINE 3... ignore the Gloss Map DiffAlpha tickbox, it is used for something else... according to Helder Pinto there is some kind of mix up in labeling, just a minor bug.

*** edited... corrected an error pointed out by lxenonl
  • IxenonI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator
    gloss map diffuse alpha = specular map in diffuse alpha (mislabeling in the shader)

Your actual glossmap needs to go in the alpha of your specular map, you then need to enable per pixel specular shinyness in the shader and make sure that gloss map diff alpha is disabled. You have to increase glossyness to 255 in the shader as well.
  • sp0nge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is it me or has this now been fixed?... compare_zps1ccd631a.jpg

If not then I can't find what I'm doing wrong and hell if I can work out what the shader's doing - only just loaded up this engine for the first time a couple of hours ago :P
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    sp0nge wrote: »
    is it me or has this now been fixed?... compare_zps1ccd631a.jpg

If not then I can't find what I'm doing wrong and hell if I can work out what the shader's doing - only just loaded up this engine for the first time a couple of hours ago :P

Yeah it was fixed in 3.3.9 or 3.4, I can't remember what one, but it's the same thing.