Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[CE3] Mass Effect 2 scifi scene

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
The scene that i've been working on over the last couple weeks is based on this Mass Effect 2 concept painting by Brian Sum (http://www.briansum.com/

Clg8j.jpg

I posted a couple WIP's earlier in the What are you working on thread. This is how far the scene has come since:

9w5HN.jpg
XR6M1.jpg
fYOny.jpg
KfzFz.jpg
0lhJL.jpg
tgqgg.jpg
brHzb.jpg
VEtN0.jpg

For me it was the first time that i worked on a complete env art scene. My main goal with it was to improve my baking and texturing skills. Before that i only baked simple props and flat textures. Effective (re)use of texture space was only a second thought tho some variations of assets use the same textures. Texture wise i aimed for a consistent resolution of 512x512 pixels for the height and lenght of a standard modular piece which resulted in most units needing 1024x512 texture space except for the floors and the ceilings.

My workflow was that i started to block out the scene in 3dsmax with simple planes and cubes that fit on the grid and made sure that the final pieces will be modular. I exported it to make sure the dimensions look alright in Cryengine.

After that i made more detailed blockouts that already resembled the shapes. And from there the usual: hipolies, then normal baking and texturing. I modelled all units in different layers of the same max file so i could always check that they fit together and that the final result will resemble the concept piece.

Things that i've learned for the next time:
- Even more careful planning with the modular units. I decided later on to make a couple extra units that were not on the concept. To fit them in i had to cheat a little with my otherwise perfectly fitting units.
- When a smoothing group looks a bit iffy it's better to fix it right away. On the corner unit there are four metal pieces on the corners which are slanted in two different directions so i had a bit of trouble there. When i first got the units in the problem wasn't very visible so i thought i could get away with it. But after doing the lighting and adding specs and glow maps the problem showed up big time which cost me a couple extra hours because i had to redo this part from low poly to textures.

I have learned a lot from it, sometimes the hard way.

Here is one of the texture sheets (diffuse,normal, spec and gloss). All are pretty much in the same style:

5llZN.jpg

Replies

• Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Yup this is awesome! :)

Maybe darken up the light grey texture. thats all.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Doesn't look anything like the concept, plz fix...................................

Amazing work dude, inspirational even. You pretty much nailed it in 3d form.
  • Kosai106
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 polycounter lvl 13
    That looks awesome! :)
    The only thing that bugs me is the floor. Maybe 'roughen' it up a bit, so it looks like it's been used. Besides that, I love what I'm seeing!
  • SnakeDoctor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnakeDoctor keyframe
    Haha, I just picked out this concept the other day. I will be adding my own flair to it though. Great job, I really think you followed the concept to the T.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome. Thanks a lot for the breakdown! I've only used glow maps for.. glowing things. Is there a reason yours is shades of gray?
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy wrote: »
    Awesome. Thanks a lot for the breakdown! I've only used glow maps for.. glowing things. Is there a reason yours is shades of gray?

Just a typo in my post. I meant gloss map.

Snakedoctor: Can't wait to see how your interpretation will look like.

Btw. do you guys think the blueish tint is too much? I heard that critique from a friend. I tried to desaturate the scene to look exactly like the concept but imho it loses all its vividness then.
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    looks good, could use some material work, but definitely feels like the concept.
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof wrote: »
    looks good, could use some material work, but definitely feels like the concept.

Any particular tips and tricks? I tried to make the materials distinguishable between steel, alluminum and plastic but i haven't much experience yet. Infact i used gloss maps for the first time.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Nice and very clean bakes but I have some questions :thumbup: Is that floor finished? Or was this place just built? It looks incredible sterile, is that the intent?

Can you show us your construction set, wired?
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam wrote: »
    Nice and very clean bakes but I have some questions :thumbup: Is that floor finished? Or was this place just built? It looks incredible sterile, is that the intent?

Can you show us your construction set, wired?

It was my full intention to make a clean scene because i've almost only worked on gritty and realistic stuff ever since i found an interest in level design and 3d art.

There is some subtle dirt and wear tho as you can see in this Marmoset render:

QF5xF.jpg

And here is a wireframe shot from before texturing:

Kc86n.jpg
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    I'd love to see how you tackled what makes up the front corner piece of the concept with modularity.

I remember playing the Force Unleashed and they had weird corners like that, I wondered how you could keep it clean. Do you mind posting the individual modular pieces?
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow wrote: »
    I'd love to see how you tackled what makes up the front corner piece of the concept with modularity.

I remember playing the Force Unleashed and they had weird corners like that, I wondered how you could keep it clean. Do you mind posting the individual modular pieces?

I modelled the support arches that are behind it first then placed two of them to a corner in max and then modelled the corner piece so that it fits perfectly. Then when the corner was in place i modelled the floor and ceiling units which are basicly just four mirrored tiles, each half the width of the supports. But i have to be frank the corner was one of the pieces that gave me the most trouble, mostly because the geometry is bent and slanted in multiple directions.

Will post some pics tomorrow. Time for me to go to bed now.
  • ZeroStrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroStrike polycounter lvl 8
    Thank you for posting everything. The wireframe is neat. Not too many people post those. Do you find that you did the glow maps first before doing the lighting or the other way around?
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks Steppenwolf :).
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    It was my full intention to make a clean scene because i've almost only worked on gritty and realistic stuff ever since i found an interest in level design and 3d art.

There is some subtle dirt and wear tho as you can see in this Marmoset render:

QF5xF.jpg

And here is a wireframe shot from before texturing:

Kc86n.jpg

I would still push the wear. The amount you have is fine, but it looks to have zero impact on the overall material values. It's just as shiny as everything else and really nothing more than subtle diffuse details. It's cool to have a very clean scene, but it looks far too sterile IMO. Cleaner than a doctors office. At least some evidence of foot traffic on the floor would be nice. Scuffs in the specular, for instance.

EDIT: For wires, I meant the construction set (1 of each piece you used). A shot like that of your frame, where the wires are all messy, don't help us much :D haha.

This is, of course, you have the time/desire to provide such images. :poly122:
  • imijatov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Solid, very beautiful work! Love those hot, hot reflections. Thanks for providing a thorough write-up on your process here. It goes exactly with what Adam was asking for from the community.

EDIT: Whoops, I hit Edit on this post instead of my own. No edits made here, just my reply on top of this one^
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    I like the floor; it fits the scene as it is, in my opinion. There seems to be some impetus among 3D artists that if it doesn't look like it was beat on, it doesn't look real.
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    I'm on the fence with this one, I love what Steppenwolf has done. But I see Adam's point, it's almost impossible for it to be that clean, unless they had just washed and polished the floors and said my mum's line, "DON'T STEP ON THE FLOOR UNTIL IT'S DRY :@".
  • Tokoya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokoya polycounter lvl 7
    I'm a huge fan of this style and the texture work is great, the walls are fine as they are but the floors could definitely use some wear and scuff marks as mentioned above
  • StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    tbh i would have never thought the textures are finished.. It looks stunning though.
    Hey do you see the crippled floor reflections in the concept art? why not try something like that. that should look killer
  • IxenonI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator
    This looks sweet, very clean. Good likeness to the concept aswell.

As people have already mentioned, you should tweak the textures a bit and add some slight wear and tear. Add some stains in the specular maps, it will show and get rid of that ultra clean look. I would also add more ambient occlusion in the corners if your texture layout supports that.

In addition, your materials could use some more definition. Use glossmaps more to push for different material behaviour on the same ID. Right now all materials sort of look the same, it would be cool to really be able to see different kinds of metal with different reflection attributes. Add some detail bumpmaps, too.

The lighting is a bit too uniform, everything is about the same brightness and your glowing lamps don´t really seem to illuminate the scene. Try using some lights with projector textures to fake that.
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    z0ltan polycounter lvl 13
    I agree on the wear. It doesn't have to be abused, but normal wear and tear I think would be there breaking up the spec a bit more. Big metal space boots, krogans being all clumsy and dropping things like weapons or crates. It is a minor thing though, the scene looks good. Maybe it's a brand new ship :)
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I second most of the crits posted especially IxenonI post, but don't go wild and smear the walls with shit! I think what we all meant is only a little bit of wear here and there, almost like Mirror's Edge where overall looks clean but if you come closer you see some really nice high frequency dirt and detail.

I know you for quite a few years now stepp, and It's fucking great to see you come up with such badass art! Congratulations.

I would give my left testicle to be able to open the scene and tweak it for a few minutes, this is looking so good but it feels like it's lacking that final layer of polish to make it look "shippable". Hope you don't mind but I shopped it a bit to show you what I meant.

If you look at the concept, and compare it with your results so far, it's lacking contrast (AO) and better material work.
    I see most of your materials are a bit washed out, which means the spec and gloss work can and should be worked on further, also don't be afraid to go ahead and add a very slight detail normal map to it, give it a bit of high frequency noisy to the surfaces, but not too much so it ruins the clean look.

Here's what I mean, look at how clean your result is, and the one in the concept; it's still clean but you can see some spec/gloss work going on and high frequency detail goodness.

iS2Au.jpg

I also think your lights are way too bright, I know they are also pretty bright on the concept but on your scene it's taking a bit too much on the screen, especially the coronas. Here's a little trick that only takes 1 second, go to your light material in the material editor, copy the difuse map and paste it a copy of it on the "decal" slot, it works as a mask and generally the lights look better that way.

Here's an example of what I would do. (Still missing the wear and a bit more word out crevices, etc)
    QxCB4.jpg

Hit me up on Skype if you need help with the sandbox material editor.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    To me it's not about the wear but the base texture, just a nice overlay in the specular or gloss or even just in the normals to break the surface a bit and make it more interesting, you can keep it subtle, but plain colors isn't a good material, it's just plain colors with a cb pass :)

just a few scratches here and here can help but are not necessary depending on the place history, dirt would probably gather super quickly in recesses though no mater how hard you try and clean it up, footstepsm etc, it's not about noise, it's all about putting 1 or 2 nice effects that will make the surfaces more interesting to read IMO.

Also wear and tear apart, I'd break up each piece with more material variations, put rubber between plates to act as insulation, add some shinier chrome Y screws and bits to break up the white panels, etc..

great modeling and clean bakes though, man :)
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for your positive feedback and suggestions. I will keep everything in mind when i push for the final art pass. :thumbup:
  • IxenonI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator
    You could probably let DX11 screen space reflections take care of those reflections, it could look really nice.

Here are a few console cmds to tweak them:

r_SSReflCutoff 0
    r_SSReflExp -0.25

Play around with the values, you´ll see what they do (obviously, set a glossiness thats high enough for the surfaces to reflect first)
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a good idea but i need a new PC first. Only have DX9.
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    Hmm, wouldn't go for screen space reflections. SSR is 100% sharp, I think blurry refelctions fit better.
    But go for dx11 anyway, lot's of cool features like ssdo!

Awesome work btw :)
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stepp: SSR works on DX9 ;)