Home General Discussion

Let's talk TV's. The bigger the better. Just like penistanks.

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
Heya buddies. After many years of vagabonding and such I finally got my own place in the motherland and I've been desiring a tv for years and nows the time! Problem is I know jack shit about them. Well, I know the basics but I need awesome recommendations from super sexy polycount people.

Maybe you techy guys can help me out?

* Huge is a must. 55-60" is what I'm looking at.
* I'm a big fan of the DELL displays and to my knowledge it's samsung tech so I'm kinda leaning towards a Samsung but brand doesn't matter really. Just a preference.

* 3D is nice, Tried it in the office but not having it is not a deal breaker. In fact, not having it would probably make the price quite a bit cheaper.
* Pricerange should be 1.5-2k.
* I don't know about the LCD or Plasma thing. Or even LED. Frankly, I don't care.
* Will be used extensively for gaming and movies. Mostly gaming.

I'm leaning towards this one but not sure. Seems well liked tho.
http://m.lg.com/ca_en/tv-audio-video/tv/LG-plasma-tv-60PK250.jsp

Cheers peeps

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    If the room is dark and has very little windows, Plasma is the way to go, otherwise local-dimming edge-lit LED is probably the best option.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Yeah Samsung seems a wise choice, I've had two of their HDTVs and three monitors and they're awesome.

I can't add much but I will offer a couple bits of advice, firstly, whilst anyone who has bought a TV with 3D may argue this point, I wouldn't pay extra for 3D because in my opinion it's a dying fad which is either going to disappear again or just become standard on all TVs in years to come as prices drop (like HD did).

And size. 55-60" is indeed very huge. Is the room an adequate size? This sounds crazy but you may end up with a better looking picture on a slightly smaller screen unless you have plenty of room. For example, we used to have a 24" 1080p TV in our bedroom and I could sit fairly close and get a nice sharp picture. Now we have a 32" and I have to sit much further back otherwise it looks much worse. This is fine if you have a huge room, but if I bought a 40" say, I don't think I'd get far enough back to read a sharp picture.

Also, check to see if the 50-60hz TVs look ok to you. 100hz is still somewhat of a 'premium option', I saved money by going with a 60hz because I honestly couldn't see much difference.
    Oh and if you're like me and think 'this game says it needs 60hz to run but my TV is 50hz' most 50hz TVs run at 60hz too.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    TeeJay wrote: »
    I saved money by going with a 60hz because I honestly couldn't see much difference.

Motion extrapolation is what those 100/120hz TVs bring really. It's a bit uncanny at best.
    I imagine it may be better for compensating the telecine pulldown though
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    2, 46ich £100, rear-views and a 56ich, £800 rear-view.

Occasionally i set them up for multi-monitor mayhem and the picture quality is pretty decent. Not as a good as a plasma or Led/Lcd but it does the job brilliantly running on Hdmi's. Just saying if your looking for a lower budget tv and then invest in something else, Giant leather sofa with lazy boy action seats?
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I dunno, when I got a TV, everybody kept saying "don't get Samsung", and people recommended Panasonic as the best brand. That's almost 2 years ago though.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    leilei wrote: »
    Motion extrapolation is what those 100/120hz TVs bring really. It's a bit uncanny at best.
    I imagine it may be better for compensating the telecine pulldown though

Yeah from what I understand, if you watch a lot of sports or stuff with fast motion, the higher hz is much more beneficial.

Xoliul wrote: »
    I dunno, when I got a TV, everybody kept saying "don't get Samsung", and people recommended Panasonic as the best brand. That's almost 2 years ago though.

Yeah I know a few people with Panasonics and they've had nothing but great things to say too. I've never had a problem with Samsungs. I'm not sure they had such a great reputation a few years back, I think that was largely down to them just not being as popular as the bigger names like Sony/Panasonic.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And size. 55-60" is indeed very huge. Is the room an adequate size? This sounds crazy but you may end up with a better looking picture on a slightly smaller screen unless you have plenty of room. For example, we used to have a 24" 1080p TV in our bedroom and I could sit fairly close and get a nice sharp picture. Now we have a 32" and I have to sit much further back otherwise it looks much worse. This is fine if you have a huge room, but if I bought a 40" say, I don't think I'd get far enough back to read a sharp picture.
    The room its gonna be in is pretty big and I'm one of those persons that want the tv in my face so I think it should be fine.

As for 3D i agree with you. I like it but not for the extra cost. Man, so many choices, so many brands. It's a jungle!
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Wahlgren wrote: »
    The room its gonna be in is pretty big and I'm one of those persons that want the tv in my face so I think it should be fine.

As I said though, most HDTV's can look pretty awful up close. If you're not far enough back, the picture will look terrible. I'd go to the store and stand about as far back as you would be in the room, and see what you think.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As I said though, most HDTV's can look pretty awful up close. If you're not far enough back, the picture will look terrible. I'd go to the store and stand about as far back as you would be in the room, and see what you think.

Yeah I'll def be doing that. Got my eye on a 55" sony bravia right now. Seems like it could be what I want.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    damn that's a big tv.

I have a 46 inch LCD Samsung that has done all I've asked of it. Looks great from all angles. I liked it so much I bought the same model but at 36 inches for my girlfriend at the time.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    look at plasmas! new true 1080 plasmas from LG and Panasonic are fantastic and have far better black levels and more vivid colors than the vast majority of LCDs. thanks to advancements in technology, plasmas are now just as thin as LCDs with super low power consumption and the burn-in problem is pretty much non-existent.

i've seen the panasonic viera in person and the picture quality is nothing short of incredible.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IMO, Sharp makes some of the best looking LCD TVs out there, I've got a Sharp Aquos, which is just outstanding. I haven't been keeping up with TV's lately, but I would certainly look into what Sharp is currently offering.

When I was looking, sharp blew away Sony's offerings as far as color, contrast, black levels etc were concerned. But again, I haven't seen the latest models. You can get an aquos 52 or 60 for under $2000. Newegg has the 52" for $1400. Sharp actually makes their own LCDs, when you buy a sony you're just paying extra for a samgsung(or whatever panel they are using at the time) tv with the sony name on it.

Looking at them in the store is the biggest deciding factor though.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    i have a Sharp Aquos too and i think the picture quality is brilliant too... really nice...i was going to get a sony but as EQ siad went and browsed in a store and the Sharp was easily the best at the time...

samsungs get a good rep...but we use sony and samsung 20-22" at work and the samsungs are SHIT SHIT SHIT... but that may just be their smaller models
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, those are Samsung's with crappy TN panels(cheap, fast refresh rates, poor view angles and color). A quality LCD TV is going to have a much better panel.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I have a sharp, and its amazing. Id personally go for sharp. but never ever buy a plasma. they are cheaper now, but for a reason, they dont last nearly as longer, colours arent as vivid, and they have images burned into them all the time (the icons int he corners from different stations)