Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Asura Architecture [Environment / Scene]

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Butthair polycounter lvl 11
Hey everyone. I'm working a scene that's been posted by someone else here before. I was working on this around the same time it was posted, but had been working on some other stuff.

If you've seen my other scene with a waterwheel, it is still going, and is looking much, much nicer than the awful post so far.

Anywho, here's a screenie from UDK of the wall so far as well as the concept. I am currently working on the rocks for the rest of the scene, as well as refining and tweaking the water shader. Atm, the waterfalls are UDK, and having them in really help to create some energy, so I'm working hard on the shader!

Here we go..

Concept:Asura_architecture_14_concept_art_Cave.jpg

What I've got so far:
Asura_Screencap_01.png

This is another piece focusing on modularity. So far, this scene is all on one texture page and made up of only a few different assets. I've made the triangular arch's for the right side, but are just not in yet. Next is the rocks, the waterfalls, some earth texture for terrain, and a water plane with the flow that is has going on. I've also been tweaking the material for the rocks a tad, the edges aren't as accented as much for my taste.

So that's it so far. Please lemme know how this can be made awesomer!!

Replies

• Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    It can be made awesomer by zooming out and actually showing us what we need to see. Post some wires, some flat lit shots, some different angles, some individual asset renders, anything but that single narrow-angle shot that doesn't show much of anything.
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Tom's concepts are known for those crazy colors so I hope you can get some of that in there. Those saturated purples in the spec or something might look pretty cool. There even seems to be a kind of glowing luminance to parts of the walls in the concept.

I think you could have increased the size of some of those pieces such as the arch and the circular pieces. They seem much more massive in the concept and it would help it stand out from the rest of the wall. There's a sense of scale to the concept that I think you could try to work in more. Maybe some fog in there could also help that.

Nice work so far though.
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man, Swizzle, you ripped me up. I love it! Some straight-forward crits that I took to heart. I've done the suggestions, still working on the scene itself, sizing things and moving stuff.

Swizzle, I would totally show the rest, but there isn't really. It's just the wall so far, but I'm working on the rocks atm, almost done, then I'll retopo. Also working on the monument that's kind of cut off to left, the structure with the chevrons.

I started blocking out the floor, still working on the water shader. Here's some assets in the mean time. (May take a few minutes)
    Asura_Wall_2.png
    Asura_Wall_1.png
    Asura_RockCircles_1.png
    Asura_CirclesArch_1.png
    Asura_VertexColors.png
    Asura_Tpage.png
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rocks are being retopoed, in the mean time, this is almost finished. It's this sort of chevron structure tuck to the left in the concept. I gave it some roots growing in it, too much?

Asura_ChevronMonument.png
  • dang87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dang87 polycounter lvl 12
    Looking pretty cool. Those aren't Orb's burshes by any chance are they? lol
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ dang87: Haha. I did find the matcap he used, and I love his brush. I watched his tutorial on how he made his and then made my own. I like how Orb has the wide bevel on his cracks, but the one I made just goes deep instead.

Otherwise I'm really only using TrimDynamic everywhere (except the roots). I love that brush, instant sezy chamfers.
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Painted the roots in zBrush. I may have gone over board with the colors though, not sure. Trying to mimic the way the concept enriches the scene.
    Asura_ChevronRoots.png
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Those rock sculpts are fantastic. Colours look fine on the root
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Lovely stuff, really nice style.

What matcap is that you're using in the WIP shots?
  • IxenonI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator
    I would keep the roots in a different color otherwise they will be too similar to the rocks and won´t read very well...

You got some nice shapes in here
  • myles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome sculpts man!
    I like the way your doing this, but I can't help but think your copying the colours from the concept art too much, in a sense that your textures actually look like the lighting is baked into them, shouldn't your lighting be creating those colours on the stones/ roots? Not the texture?
    Anyway keep it up man, this reminded me I need to go back to mine and work on it again.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Amazing progress, and thanks for posting those wires. You learn just looking at them.

And myles also beat me up to it, I was about to say that you shouldn't be recreating the colors of the concept art in the textures, and instead leave that work to the lighting / post-process or even shader work; you'll be making your life harder if you don't.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    [Yeah myles you should.]

I agree tho, the color you picked for the stone has too much lighting info. Look at the concept at the top middle area that's the true color of the rocks.
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    the highpolys are amazing but you loose the most of the great style and detail and contrast when it comes to the lowpoly/texture. i think the highpoly color is also better than the lowpoly one. the concept of the rooted stones is GREAT! what a sharpness! what a style! love it!
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    I like the sculpts, but the texture on those roots looks really soft and blurry.
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man. My eyes are opened! I'm seeing anew here, thanks for those pointers. I'll definitely scale back the colors on the texture, maybe tweak the spec and utilize the lighting more.

The roots definitely need to be sharpened, I agree. I originally, had it browner, but I didn't think it was going to work. It was too off, maybe I'll keep it greener, not sure, I'll do some paint overs I suppose. I'll sharpen it definitely, looking at it after some time passed, it is blurry.

Thanks for this, it really helps keep me going!
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *EDIT: The matcap for most of them is the basic Matcap White that comes with zBrush. I color the edges and cracks to accent with masking, then touch up with a brush to push a little where needed. For the Chevron Monument, since I really like the fg_Grey_Metal matcap, I tried emulating the same thing I painted by tweaking some things around. (Yes _Orb using this matcap too, and it makes his sculpts look fantastic.)

Some quick recolors.

Asura_ChevronRoots2.png
  • TomScholes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lovely :) A friend sent this my way.
    Looking forward to seeing more!
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Some more crits:

I'm not an environment artist, but I recommend putting more into your diffuse texture. For all their declamations on being painterly at ArenaNet, they were never shy about using photos and grunge to really give textures interest and impact. Maybe also look at some oil slicked rocks or something like that for reference... I don't know if that was necessarily Tom's intention with the piece, but it could give you some interesting ideas on what you can add.

The greenish tone of the scene is something you might want to try experimenting more with the lighting/atmosphere rather than putting it in so strongly in the diffuse (this way maybe you could get the water to be colored as well).

Lastly, I think you need some things to help sell the immense scale of the place. Had I not seen the concept I wouldn't have guessed that the scene was very large at all. Some areas of really small and tight detail, and maybe some bits of vegetation among the rocks would help a lot. Big details, medium details, small details. Also, try to vary the overall hue and tones of the wall so it's not all the same from one end to the other.
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
    How did you go from high to low poly regarding the stone wall?
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ nordahl: I retopoed the wall in Max, it probably would have been faster in zBrush. Then used xNormals to preject high poly details.

I moved recently, so I haven't had time to work much, but I'm dying to. I've started taking on the crits I got. Haikai, I got some tiling diffuse on it to get some of the rocky texture variation, like your saying, utilizing textures.

Scaling has been changed. I've looked up some vids on some kickass animated materials for the water on the floor (leading to the foreground) but I have no clue how to do some of the things I've seen. Like directing the water flow for one.

I hope to post up soon, I'm at school atm, but only for a bit more. In addition to moving, the place I have doesn't have any internet. I'll be getting it hopefully by wednesday. So I'm crossing my fingers to have something by then as well as be able to post it.

Lastly, for the roots, I think I'm leaning towards the green one, though I'll lessen the yellow in it, maybe have it a bit desaturated and utilize the spec like the rest of the scene.

I've also been playing around with the idea of adding something of a focal point. The figure serves well as scale, but that'll be handled through camera. I was thinking of having one of those cyborg things the Asurans use in the scene, or maybe a carin stone stack thing.
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have internet again! Life is whole once more!

Anyways, I've worked the scene as much as humanly possible while also trying to settle in to this new place. Still settling in. :poly127:

I worked a large portion on refining the shaders. Everything in there I made, except the dirt, that's UDK's, I'm working on it right now. I also got some moss worked into the vertex shader for the stones and walls (not there, yet!)

My biggest challenge makes me laugh every time. I was rendering lightmass and each time it came out the same. Deleted all my lights, still the same. I finally looked in the world properties to find lightmass was set to have its own environment color. Thanks UDK, each new release, new things be different!

The entire scene right now is emissive lit by the waterfalls on the walls (not the ones flowing over the stones below)

So, here they are. I will post the WIP stuff of the shaders sometime later!
    AsuraSceneShot_1.png

AsuraSceneShot_2.png

AsuraSceneShot_3.png
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    The atmosphere is feeling good. I wonder if there's a way to inject a bit of contrast back in by making the passageways darker (not sure how that would work with the fog) and more grime/smears on the rocks. If it were me, I think I would actually paint the rocks darker in those areas if it meant an easier way to match the concept.

The scene is also getting too monotone. Adding some areas of warm browns and reds like you see in some parts of the concept could help break it up some more. Did you end up getting rid of the root/vine things you were working on?

It's looking great so far.
  • nightshade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    get a dropbox or something, your images are all dead. shame cause it was looking nice
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, so I didn't know about photobucket's bs bandwidth. Using ImageShack now. I'd use dropbox, but I deleted the "Public Folder". Oops.

I dunno how to update the previous picture posts, so I'll just repost some stuff.

*EDIT* Using Google Photos now!
    Link to everything I've posted so far: https://picasaweb.google.com/InGrownCG/AsuraScene

Here's the updates of the scenes again.
    AsuraSceneShot_1.png

AsuraSceneShot_2.png

AsuraSceneShot_3.png
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An update. Added some moss, got the roots in finally. For now, I'm calling it done, I may tweak a little bit here and there, but I've exhausted myself on this, time to move on.

Last thing to do is some post process, then a vid to show the water and particles going on. Crits are still welcome, I'd appreciate them, helps me learn and might get me motivated to push this scene more.

AsuraSceneShot_A_1.png
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    This is coming together really nicely. I'd add some more edge loops on the waterfalls at some places to have a smoother shape.in the next to last screenshot for example.

Also the foreground is crying for small scale details like pebbles and grass. Just a suggestion.
  • shawnell3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So you're doing a video well then if there Is a body of water (pond) where the water falls are u should create a animated caustics material in conjunction with a light function spotlight on the rocks near the water fall
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    I love how you have done this work ! Very nice ! :)

(As always, photobucket is pain in the ass :
    58acdac2e500e74b8ad990cd4952d.jpg )
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ suburbbum: Your stuff is awesome, I go to the AI over here in Santa Monica! That Dominance War piece is legit!

@ ParoXum: good idea, before the video I'll add some edge loops, it'll definitely help. And an even better idea about some foreground stuff. I think I could do both, I'll see what I got. Thanks for the ideas, I can already imagine how it'll help it. :D

@ shawnell3D: Yeah, your going to have to show me that, or maybe give me a link to that. I'm not sure what your saying exactly, I'm getting that somehow I'll be able to have water caustics on the walls, I think, but yeah, educate me on it. I have some particles atm where the waterfalls meet the water, but if what your saying is what I'm thinking, that'll be some nice added effects.

@ Froyok: Thanks. Lesson learned about photobucket - don't.
  • shawnell3d