Home Unreal Engine

-benchmark -fps=30, NOT!

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
Hey sup,
had this problem for about 3 weeks now and it has halted me at the last stage of my little project.

I want to record a cutscene I did in UDK (thanks again for helping me with matinee and the cameras!), but the computer I'm using to record on plays the game at 62fps (says Fraps), and the animation is of course done at 30fps, and synced to a sound file.

the result I get from recording like that, is that the animation and audio don't sync up at all after just a couple of seconds. (well, one really..)

I've tried different -tags in the executable, as the title of this thread says.
I tried the standard -dumpmovie tutorial on the UDK site.. but if I put those arguments in the shortcut, I get up to 160fps!.. it doesn't cap at 30 at all!

I want to use fraps to capture this, as I want to be left with a .avi file at the end, and not a ton of .bmp or whatever fileformat the -dumpmovie spits out.
Fraps is also the one telling me UDK is running at 62 and ~160fps..

Any clue on what I should to to cap it at a stable 30fps? no more, no less.. obviously the computer can handle it..

or do I need to find a computer that caps at 30fps due to hardware? lol

Replies

• DOG-GY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DOG-GY polycounter lvl 12
    Are you compositing the video and audio after recording? I'm confused. What software are you using to composite.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Wait... Why are you using fraps for a movie dump? The whole point of that is it will generate frame files for you so you can stitch things up in an offline video editor, which will also solve your audio synch issues.

Running a live screen capture app will always Alter your performance, and sometimes the video compression will desynch the audio.

Also you should be able to have fraps record a specific framerate. Unreal running at 62 isn't a bad thing. Unreal's animation playback is interpolated and measures overall duration in time rather than specific frames, so the same scene will take the same amount of time to play if your machine can push 180fps or 32.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    If you're using fraps to capture a movie you shouldn't need to cap the framerate for your game. Fraps caps the recording speed. It's a setting on the "movies" tab in fraps.

It may be out of synch because your compositing software is using the audio at 30fps. It could be 29.97fps (NTSC standard). So It's slowly getting out of synch.

however have you seen this feature?
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/MovieCapture.html
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha, thanks for the answers guys! :)

DOG-GY, I'm gonna comp the video and audio in After FX.
    I'd rather not capture the audio and video in one go, and rather comp that in post...crazy? whatever ;D

Vailias, the reason why I'm going with Fraps is that I don't know how to add all the hundreds of bitmaps into a 30fps video.. when I add images to After FX, they are not added as 1 frame images, rather a couple of seconds long frontplates..or something ;D

sprunghunt, yeah I have the Video Capture Settings to 30fps in the Movies tab, but the video and audio is still out of sync! :/ it works of course, when I just play the game or play the cutscene in the editor..
    thats why I started thinking it has to be fraps or the framerate..that was the issue

but no, I had not seen that tutorial thingy!
    just gave it a quick look through while writing this reply, the in-game movie capture is what I'm trying, and failing.. so I'll try the matinee movie capture! :D

thanks guys!
    hope this solves it, would love to finish this thing and move on to newer and better things! :D
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    udkrecord.jpg
    Matinee.JPG

are they pulling my third leg or am I just being retarded again?
    running the July build..
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Hmm you're right. That feature doesn't show up in the latest build. Perhaps in the next release it'll be there.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    right?!
    maybe in the next release, or it was removed from a previous one.. well, they let you download previous ones anyway right? :)

guess I'll wait for the next one.. until then, I'll try the -dumpmovie command again, and try to stitch the bitmaps together and pray the sound syncs :)

thanks anyways guys!
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    After Effects can import frames as a single video file at the comp settings. You need to pick that option on image import.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    You can also use 3Ds max to combine single frames into an AVI file using video post.

Maya also comes with a few applications that allow you to join multiple images together or view image sequences. fcheck, imconvert, imgcvt and so on.

Windows movie maker will also import an image sequence and allow you to output an AVI. You need to change the default image duration to something small though.