Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Preview - Forza Motorsport 4 - Bernese Alps track

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
The official "Making Of" video for the Bernese Alps has been released, so I can finally post this up here... I mostly did art optimization and PVS editing on this track, although I did some terrain, vegetation and signage work as well. This track was mainly Andrew Frink and Matthew Turner's baby under the distant watchful eye of Matt Collins, although lots of people helped out - Woodrow Engel, myself, Tim Doonan, Valkyrie Entertainment, and others were all up to our elbows in making this look as good as it turned out.

Tim especially has a background in arch viz (as well as some time stationed in areas similar to this track when he was with the US Army in Germany during the Cold War), and when the buildings needed revamping at the last second for E3, we unleashed Tim at the 11th hour and the result is there to see.

I had a chance to work with a bunch of amazingly talented people. Game comes out in October!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcjFGEJrSdY[/ame]

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    What? No love for the work I did on the track? ;)
    The Alps definitely shaped up fast towards the end of my contract. It was really great working on it and using the newer shader tech.
    All the work paid off in the end though, it's a gorgeous track. Nice job :)

BTW Garage - what's your name? I assume you were in the bay with Lichy and Engel?
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome! i am very thrilled to see the lighting work when i play the game. So far it's looking beautiful!
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What? No love for the work I did on the track? ;)
    The Alps definitely shaped up fast towards the end of my contract. It was really great working on it and using the newer shader tech.
    All the work paid off in the end though, it's a gorgeous track. Nice job :)

BTW Garage - what's your name? I assume you were in the bay with Lichy and Engel?

Eep... Sorry Stubbles, forgot you were in on this one. I'll buy you Pho next time around. :poly136:

I'm Brandon, was next to Forrest and Kevin.
  • kid908
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks amazing :D

I preordered the game 2 weeks ago and can't wait to see it in real time on my tv.
  • G3L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    NICE!!! I almost couldn't tell the photo real from the game shots :o

I always wondered though, how do you go about making the levels? Do you guys pretty much work in 3DS or do you have your own proprietary engine? Whichever the case, how do you guys lay down the tracks on all those different elevations and slopes on the surfaces? Is there a tool that allows you to lay down the tracks easily?

Also, modular pieces for the tracks or you make some things one entire mesh all together? For example the railings?
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @G3L - I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to expound upon, but fortunately there isn't any seriously deep magic involved here. :) The ribbons are done either with splines or real-world telemetry data (or both) with hand tweaks. Aside from library objects like trees and trash cans, which we can place multiple instances of, pretty much all the buildings and terrain is built in Max by hand, in place. I know Andrew and some of the other guys did some serious zbrush work on the terrain for Alps; I'm not sure how often that's used for the other tracks. I know we didn't use it for the other two tracks I worked on, which I can't talk about yet.
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    Just AMAZING dudes.
    nuff said.
  • G3L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    @ GarageBay9 oooh that's already some useful info there :) I'm sure I can deduce a lot just from that info :)

Interesting to know that Zbrush was used for some of the terrain features!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    They released another BTS video for another of our new tracks, Hockenheim.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMQzXvKVd3c[/ame]

I didn't work on this track at all, but Pcount's MLichy did! Good job :)
    You get to see some of the amazing people I worked with for the last 3 years as well. A few track leads, the env lead and the lead concept artist.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    PIMPEST logo intro EVER!!!

That track gave me goosebumps great job guys!
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I'm tempted to get a Xbox360 for this game. Why cant you port this to the pc?(I know why you cant, but do it anyway, no one will notice).
  • beancube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beancube polycounter lvl 17
    so awesome! i love the backstory for the Alps Scene :)

Thanks for the info!
  • billyhas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work fellas!
    These other tracks you speak of. Are they also set in scenery or are they just normal racing tracks?
    I love these fiction roads. So much more fun and better to look at then the real tracks.