Home General Discussion

Great Ted Talk On Observation

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
jocose polycounter lvl 11
http://www.ted.com/talks/julian_treasure_5_ways_to_listen_better.html

This may be on sound, but if you consider it, it applies to ALL the senses, even visual.

Interesting topic to consider, our ability to observe things is important.

If anyone has any thoughts, or drew any parallels to other ideas, authors, or concepts it would be great if you could share.

Replies

• moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Cool talk!

Music taught me to listen very carefully, specifically playing written music with other people in either small groups or large orchestras/symphonies. It taught me to really refine and to be attentive to what a specific instrument/group is doing as a 1st violinist, hearing the cue from the clarinets, as well as listening to those around you to make sure your instrument is in tune/note is in tune when hitting chords, playing the melody right. I could go on and on, but these few things really helped train me to become a better listener.

It also taught me how to tune stuff out (don't listen to XYZ part, that part is supposed to be discordant, etc), sometimes I can fade out of listening to anything which can be bad :)

I haven't "exercised my ears" in a very long time, I mostly just pummel them with metal :)
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Very cool talk. Thanks a ton!

Love these TED talks.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I read this as father ted somehow. I need 5 ways to read better..