Home General Discussion

Finding the right studio

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
LRoy polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys. I've recently gotten my portfolio up to a point where I'd like to start applying to studios, but I'm not exactly sure how to go about it. I've been doing a bit of searching about, but I'm still a bit lost.

Things like this Game Industry Mentor podcast ( http://gim.acanaday.com/?p=140 - which is awesome and everyone looking to break in should listen to - Talk about narrowing your selection down, but how exactly do you get this selection to begin with?

http://www.gamedevmap.com/ has been a big help, but there are tons to choose from in many different states. I'm located in NYC and see there is a large focus on the handheld market which I'm not too familiar with. Is it going to be a necessity to relocate?

To sum it up, I'd like to start applying but have no idea where to start looking. If anyone can share some stories about the process in how they found the right studio for them, that would be really helpful.

Replies

• thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    meh, just go wherever.. are you planning to stay at one studio for the rest of your life?
    I thought we cool sexy gamedevelopers used to go from company to company.. :)

if you're from NYC, avalanche opened up a studio there working on something you might be interested in :) gogogo
    http://www.avalanchestudios.se/
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
  • elGuapo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why not start with the studios that make your favorite games? Or, the studios whose art style closely matches the art style you like?
  • DeeKei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    as much as i like to stay optimistic, my favourite game is secret of evermore, which was done by square. actually, is there anyone here that have some insight on how foreigners fare when they join a japanese studio?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    learn japanese, that would be the first step
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    If you relocate there's a big chance you'll live somewhere more affordable than NYC - so don't get dismayed at lower salary if the lower cost of living balances things out.

I have to echo everyone else, just apply at studios that make games you'd like to work on.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I'm north of NYC (Albany area), and even when i am not in one of the biggest studios. I am in one that is a really good example studio, where there is awesome revenue, they take care of their employees, and they help you grow and make awesome games for kids. The way i think about it now is, i get my exp here, keep on enjoying working at a place that pays me what i deserve, good bonuses and lots of opportunities to influence art style, and the direction of games. AND then move to a big studio once i have seniority.. which is what most major studios look for. So basically.. i am really happy where i am at, and i can say with confidence that i love my job, i love the industry and the work i do. AND that includes not being in a big studio. It's all about giving to your community and getting better and better at what you do.

To me... the most important thing is to look for studios where you know you will have a stable job and you won't just let go after they are done with the project.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for the responses! Ill check out that list.

How would one know if a studio was a "stable"? Im assuming no one intentionally agrees to work for a place that treats them poorly and fires them a month later. This is a big concern of mine especially if im going to have to relocate to another state.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    I would say rather than just applying to studios you want to work at - I'd also apply at studios that you think would like to hire you. Have a look at your art style and what kind of art you're making and apply at studios that make something similar.
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    LRoy wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses! Ill check out that list.

How would one know if a studio was a "stable"? Im assuming no one intentionally agrees to work for a place that treats them poorly and fires them a month later. This is a big concern of mine especially if im going to have to relocate to another state.

It depends how good you are adapting to their goals. You will notice awhile later.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    7 or 8 years ago I was trying to find a job in NYC, nobody would hire me for a bunch of reasons, either they were too small or I wasn't good enough, or I didn't know how to do pixel art, I had no experience. There wasn't a company that was big enough where somebody could break in as a junior artist and grow, so after about a year of looking and flying out on interviews all over the country I had to relocate for the second offer I got. (1st was to move half way across the country for $10 an hour)

I wouldn't be terribly picky, your best bet would be to find a company thats been around for awhile and that already has lots of people who are better than you that you can learn from and try to get in there a junior type artist, learn the ropes. Would be a good idea to find a studio thats in a place where there are a bunch of other studios as well, that way if they go bust you don't have to move across the country again (LA, SanFran, Seattle, Dallas, Austin, places like that)
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    sprunghunt wrote: »
    I would say rather than just applying to studios you want to work at - I'd also apply at studios that you think would like to hire you. Have a look at your art style and what kind of art you're making and apply at studios that make something similar.

Yeah. I imagine popular studios like Blizzard get tons of portfolios thrown at them.

So the best way other to find studios (Other then well known ones) are the lists floating about?