Home Technical Talk

learning modo and got a few questions.

passerby
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
passerby polycounter lvl 12
started a trial of modo, and am really liking it but there are a few issues prolly caused by me over looking things.

first thing on the list is about pre-selection highlighting and setting a proper radius on it, at the moment using default settings i still have to be right on top of a vert to select it, and im sure there has to be a way to set a radius for selection since what is the point of it having pre-selection highlighting if you need to be right ontop of a vert to select it.

next thing is the extrude and shift tools in every other app i used i can extrude 2 touching faces along there normals and everything get averaged out. But when i use the shift tool it pulls the 2 faces out separate, and when i use the extrude tools it just uses my manipulator to tell it how to extrude.

my 3rd thing, is about finding a way to bind a tool and some arguments to a key, when doing loop cuts i sometimes want to do a loop cut and slide which is how the tool currently works, but most of the time i just want to but my new loop right in the center, and it is a bit slow having to place it than type in %50 than drop the tool. So im hoping there would be some way to activate the tool and use lmb for the default functionality and maybe use rmb or mmb to drop a loop and put it's position to 50%.
if i cant do that having a whole new key would be fine too.

next bit is about edge ring and loop sections, currently there is a doable lmb edge loop selection like silo/maya, but there is no way to use it to select a partial edge loop, and there is no doable mmb click for edge loops.

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bevel will extrude along the normal.

With loop slice, I generally set it to symmetry with 2 slices, this lets me easily cut in supporting edges on both sides of a loop, and you can easily just drag in the viewport so they both hit 50% for a center cut(this will not create duplicate geo).
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that is sick EQ, the whole reason why i was trying to place it in the middle was so i could bevel it to put out 2 even support edges, and that does it in one step or lets me place it in just the middle.

never knew about the symmetry option in the loop slice tool and never knew that if you just lay the edge ontop of each other it doesn't create duplicate geo.

so do you just use the add loop when you want to place it in a arbitrary position, or change the settings again?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If i need one loop in a certain position, often times i will just create two, but quickly loop select the one i dont want and remove(backface), generally this is faster than messing with the tool settings.

You can also do 3, and get symmetry + center loop, which is nice for some things.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok thanks EQ so 2 things off the list, so does anyone know how to get a radius on the pre-selction highlighting, and does anyone know a way to get partial loop and ring selections, like what is possible in silo or maya.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    You can set the size of verts in the preferences panel, opengl. Opengl Point size, selected point size. I have selected point size at 200% and the other at 3.0.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are a few scripts floating about for partial selections. There's also the command:
    select.between

which can select the elements between two selected elements. You can set up a hotkey for it in the Input Editor.

EDIT:

I like using:
    select.more

and
    select.less

I think these are set to the up and down arrow keys by default.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I really need to give Modo a go.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya thanks for the hints, im thinking of trying to write some scripts to make some tools more context sensitivity, apparently modo supports python scripting which i got some basic knowledge off.

right now im working on a script to combine all the edge loop tools.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should take a look at making custom pie menus as well. They make it easy to get 8 tools onto one button press + a mouse gesture.

Combine them with a context sensitive hotkey and/or script and you get a whole lot more.

They're not great for things you use really often like changing selection modes, but they sure can bring a lot of tools, scripts, menu items, etc... within very easy reach.