Home Technical Talk

diffuse baking all texture layers?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Gungriffon Geona polycounter lvl 18
I'm currently looking to bake normals and my standard diffuse to a single texture, as the engine I'm working with doesn't currently support normals. (not yet anyways) I would use 3DS Max for this, but I don't feel like re-rendering my normals from Xnormal, and it treats Xnormal's tangents really strange. what would be a good way to do this?

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I haven't tried it in a while, but I'm sure you can render to texture the normal map data to the diffuse based on lighting setup in the scene.

Also, you could setup a photoshop action to take the individual channel data (red, green, blue) of the normal, and paste them over the diffuse as a shading layer.
  • DOG-GY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DOG-GY polycounter lvl 12
    I had to do just this a while back. What is the issue with the normals? Can you post an example? It may just be a flipped green.
  • Gungriffon Geona
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gungriffon Geona polycounter lvl 18
    cholden wrote:
    Also, you could setup a photoshop action to take the individual channel data (red, green, blue) of the normal, and paste them over the diffuse as a shading layer.

this would be an ideal solution, actually. are there any known tutorials for doing this?
    DOG-GY wrote:
    I had to do just this a while back. What is the issue with the normals? Can you post an example? It may just be a flipped green.

it's not the channels, it's mostly that I don't want the normals re-rendered. The normals from Xnormal render strangely in Max, as well. I think it's simply an issue of how they render them between the two.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I'm sure there are tutors on using photoshop actions, but can't think of one that performs this specific task. Either way, a psd with a normal layer and diffuse layer. Hit Record on Actions, copy & paste all the channels over, maybe set them to overlay (or whatever works best for you). Once it looks nice, stop the record, open the next one and hit play.