Home General Discussion

Heroes of Newerth (DOTA clone) goes free

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
http://www.heroesofnewerth.com/

Great game, if LoL is getting a little stale for you this is the perfect followup, bit more hardcore, bit more production value, even more hardcore.

If you haven't given it a shot now's the time with Dota 2 on the horizon!

Replies

• eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Agreed, this is as close to dota as you can get, with a more robust framework for the game.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Ya. good game. awesome graphics. intense, stressful game play. lol
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    ...and the worst community in the history of gaming, apparently.

I was surprised when I tried LoL and actually had a decent experience. Out of a dozen or so games, I've only had about 2 people act like jackasses.

I played one game of HoN and it was non-stop abuse of everyone from everyone. I'm already uninstalling it.

Things you will hear endlessly each match:
    "**** F2P"
    "**** LoL players"
    "**** noobs"
    "**** [player]"

The outside-of-game UI is better than LoL but the in-game UI is much worse in every possible way. It's like they actually sat down and said:
    "How can we make an interface that does everything possible to hide all the information you need while filling the screen with ornate detail that does nothing?"

The pace is ten times faster (nice!) but everything is also more complex so as a newb you're totally screwed and the players are too busy swearing to help.

If you want a painfully slow but decent experience, play League of Legends.
    If you like abusing yourself and want to hate humanity a little more, play Heroes of Newerth.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    All the more rage though haha. Fun game though I say the community is its main downfall.
  • Eastlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The UI was superb before they changed it in HoN

I still can't believe they actually ruined it so bad. they added allot of features for the store and so on, that in theory would help newbies but now its just too much people get disoriented by it and frustrated
  • Perfectblue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HoN is awesome, but brace yourself for the community. Here is a good example of what you will come across.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUeZTPFzsjk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUeZTPFzsjk[/ame]
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah, community was horrible last I tried, gonna play tonight and hope with the wave of "noobs" it wont be so bad, did wonders for TF2.
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My name is AtlusZMH on thurr.. hit me up!

Best way to avoid dickheads and assholes is to play with people you know :)
  • frostymoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frostymoose polycounter lvl 17
    Glad I didn't pay the $10 to buy it a few days back. If the UI wasn't so horrible, I'd have been happy to pay the $10 to get all the heroes, but since it's just a DOTA clone, I'll wait on DOTA 2.

On another note, I'm a big time LoL fan. I can't figure out how anyone could prefer the look of HoN to LoL. HoN's art style is so busy and makes it difficult to tell what's going on with its flashy animations and effects.
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    HoN is awesome, but brace yourself for the community. Here is a good example of what you will come across.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUeZTPFzsjk
    Son of a gun, I couldn't finish watching it lol. Trolling at its finest! Is there even an option to mute such players? That's what I did in CoD: W@W before each match started so I could concentrate on the game.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Bloody hell mate, that video was incredibly annoying! Is that really how the HoN community is? How exaggerated was the video?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    to little to late. They go free to play soon after riot releases thier statistics of how many play.The main turn off of HoN is that it is exactly like DOTA and if you want to play a dota clone. Go play dota.

It has an anti-leaver system, re-connectivity, ratings, replays and such things that were issues with the original dota as a mod.
    But now yes it's more hardcore and as such has a way more hardcore community, that is the bane of dota, even valve knows they have to deal with it.

s2games were never able to compete with a free to play game though, that's why lol has the most numbers, hon still has a big enough playerbase to be healthy and not die.
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Bloody hell mate, that video was incredibly annoying! Is that really how the HoN community is? How exaggerated was the video?

Exaggerated, it's a set up humour-video. :P

While raging is not unusual, it often happens later in a match if your team is losing, and in text-form, not to mention: you can mute players, vote-kick, and even report players for misconduct.

I haven't played Lol, so I don't know how they avoid the harsh community, but in HON the balance of the game weights on a thread in a way such that a minor mishap from a guy on your team will cause another guy on your team to rage hard.

League of legends is also a dota type game, it isn't immune: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=912226

With any dota-like I say "play with friends"