Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Another Handpainted Girl!

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Poribo polycounter lvl 13
I wanted to have a go at doing a hand painted character. Though I have no experience in the hand painting department. I kinda know the theory, just I don't know the technique/execution, particularly in the blending area. Maybe you guys can enlighten me in the art of hand painting textures. Sooo....this should be fun :poly142:

I don't exactly have a concept but I'm thinking of making a "school girl samurai" or something of that sort. Also low-poly, 2322 tris at the moment.

girl_silhouette_turntable_wip_by_nightflarer-d41l6pd.gif

viewc.png

The shoes are actually looking pretty terrible at the moment, so that's gotta be fixed, and I'm going to model a katana. Also nevermind the normals/shading errors, I can fix that but this is really going to be a flat lighting environment, so It shouldn't really matter.

Replies

• haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    The silhouette looks pretty decent so far.

I think you have too many divisions vertically and not enough horizontally on the legs. I personally wouldn't recommend collapsing the rings at the elbow/knees too. Your model isn't quite low poly enough to warrant trying to do that kind polygon saving compromise in my opinion.

Maybe her hair could use some more volume. Looks kind of flat.
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Hai, I know I can count on you for help haha. For the elbows and knees, I thought that it was better to not have the full ring for deforming?
    Referring to this:
    ex2.jpg

So I've added more rings to the legs, and the silhouette of the legs looks a bit smoother now. Modeled the sword and sheath, and UVed. Time to jump into painting now...for that I have no idea what I'm doing lol
    wiprf.png
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys! Why didn't anyone tell me that this hand painting business is so frikken hard! lol

I had to redo the face so many times till I found the right technique to use, and the right skin tone. Funny thing is I spent most of my time on the legs, but I still can't get it right for some reason >.<

The face isn't quite finished yet (need to work on the nose) but I'm quite proud of what I've done so far
    girl_texture_wip_by_nightflarer-d420n6p.png
  • DeeKei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    liking the progress so far.
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    For the elbows and knees, I thought that it was better to not have the full ring for deforming?

Yea, I mean, it's definitely a nice technique for really low poly. I think at a certain point poly count you can't use it though, but maybe you're on the edge there and can go either way.

The painting is coming along pretty well so far. I think you'll find that you have to paint in a lot more lighting in the texture than you might initially think in order for it to read. Try adding some subtle gradients in value and hue across the large surfaces. It's those subtle changes that can help sell the scale and prevent things from looking small and toy-like.
  • StrongRum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrongRum polycounter lvl 6
    It's looking good, I agree with haikai and that you will have to paint more lighting into the texture. I look forward to the finished product :-)
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I'm slowly getting the hang of it. More updates.
    girl_wip_turntable_by_nightflarer-d424c5f.gif
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Her hips are... not quite right. Her legs are going straight up and not junctioning properly, even for a female pelvis. Check your refs.
  • dogzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dogzer polycounter lvl 8
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started working on this again, still got fix a few things here and there and I forgot to model a collar for her white shirt >_<

schsamwip.png
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm calling this done, this project was pretty successful. I kinda have an idea now on how to paint skin and faces. Might have to practice painting wood and stone sometime.

school_girl_samurai_by_nightflarer-d4dw8dc.jpg

school_girl_samurai_specs_by_nightflarer-d4dw8ic.jpg

school_girl_samurai_turntable_by_nightflarer-d4dw8ne.gif

The gif is a bit fast...oh well.