Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sea God

Zocky
greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Zocky greentooth
Well, i started with this for dominance war 5, but never really had time to come even close to finishing it.
Now, i'm trying to do just.

Right now, i'm trying to come up with some intresting concept for armour. Right now it's just base mesh (maya), later i will put it into ZB to do some sculpting.

So anyway, it's suppose to be some sort of sea god.
fish2n.th.jpg

Now, i do have one question. While i'm not really new to creating props and stuff for games (assets), i am very new to character modelling. i am doing some pracitising, anatomy study and stuff, but still, since this some fantasy creature, i wanted to give it a try.

Now, i have one question, and i'm hoping to get some feedback from you guys.

As i said, i can make quite ok models from reference, but this time, i'm trying to be atleast a bit creative and try to come up with my own design for creature. And i have problems here.

Particularly armour.

I got one comment about this pic that you can see aswell, that it' simply not realistic, too organic and stuff. Now, i'm trying to think about what the guy said, and am a bit confused.

When i started this, i wanted to create fantasy armour for it, and organic-looking. Now, i always had a feeling if i make scifi suit for example, it has to have some good logic behind it. For example, you have have..i don't know, gun that is almost as big as the whole character, it would look too big and therefor not really authentic.

But for fantasy, i always thought it's not that important that something actually looks very believable, but that it has to just fit-in the whole design of character...like, if the character is someone who is very noble, like paladins, you wouldn't expect it to have very spikey and dark, scary looking armour. It has to fit to the whole character.

Still, when i think about this, if you create bird...with wings...and says it actually lives in water...it just hardly makes any sense, and to say "hey, it's fantasy" just wouldn't make it through.

So with all that, when i see at my armour, i'm a bit confused. I Wanted to create organic looking armour, and didn't want to worry too much about realism, yet someone else says it doesn't look practical, it wouldn't protect him enough, they could never even make this kind of armour under water anyway, etc....what would you guys say?

I'm just trying to see in what direction should i go with future designs.

Sorry for long comment, but it's abit complicated for me to explain it properly. :P

Replies

• haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    I think organic looking armor would actually be ideal for a character like this. It would make less sense if he were wearing the same kind of armor that a land bound character would wear (unless he found it in a ship wreck or something). Maybe he uses parts of sea shells or the shells of various sea creatures. Abalone and things like that. You could probably find "sea" equivalents to a lot of armor parts.

As for your model, I think you could push the shapes more. Right now his body is very round which is a common problem for people new to making characters. There are many parts of the body that are actually sharper or flatter than you might expect. Identify these areas and find ways to contrast them with the parts that really are round.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Tnx for comment!

Yeah i guess i should put more research into body shapes. Also, good idea about the armour. I'll try do search more references to get some good idea for the armour.