Home Unreal Engine

Negative lights in UDK ?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
Hey there !

Is there a way of creating light with negative intensity like in max ?
Just for the one who don't know what it is doing, it's simply removing light around the bulb (so in fact it's a light which absorb the light :D)

I tried putting a minus 1 intensity for the light but it's resulting in some weird colors
I tried using a light with a black color (that's changing nothing ... kinda logic but ... :D)
I looked on the internet and found an interesting stuff about LE_Negative but I can't find it in the UDK (because it seems it is a stuff with the UT 2004 version (so I don't know if it's still in the UDK :s)

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Are you trying to create a black hole in your map?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Pics on what you mean?

Negative light affects the material alot. In the case of custom shaders, even in Max, a negative light could have 'strange' effects, not counting the Gamma in question. So what you consider to be 'weird' and 'purply' could be very well the natural negative light in question on the material.

Been a while since I used UDK, but I remember the more reliable negative light was Directional, and if you're creating a black hole in your map like Minotaur said, I would think a mesh with a little but of fancy material work could work more in your favor.
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Low intensity negative lights were sometimes used in oldskool cg to selectively darken some of the areas for artistic purposes, not necessarily for creating black holes =) Black cards are also used in photography to kill some of the bounced light.

Gameplaywise, objects or creatures that suck light out of environment sounds pretty creepy and fun :)
  • GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    Hey guys thanks for the answers!
    It's not for creating a black hole, it's just to darken areas of the level (as Sandro said).
    Yeah Ace Angle it's exactly what I get (the purply colors).
    Because shadows are as important as lights, I thought there was a way of removing light in an area with negative lights or equivalent :s
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    When you invert the lights intensity, you also need to invert the colour as well to counteract for this. E.g. If you have a negative light with it's colour set to yellow, then you will end up with a blue light.