Home Technical Talk

Polygons missing in viewport(Maya)

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
biofrost polycounter lvl 12
I am working on my first character model for a animation class and I just noticed that while the polygons are there they seem to be see though in the viewport, anyone know why? missingpolygons.png

Replies

• Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    Looks like the face normals are flipped. Select the offending faces, go to the Polygon menu, Normals tab, and then hit Reverse.

That should work.
  • Permafrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is a bug in Maya 2011, if that is what you are using, that will randomly un-assign faces from the material. Just select the faces, right click and apply the default lambert and it should be fine.
  • Giometric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You don't seem to have backface culling on (we can see the inside of the head) so I'm not sure it's a normals thing; if flipping the normals doesn't fix it, I've seen sometimes (rarely) faces will somehow lose their material assignment completely, like they don't even have that flat green thing, just nothing, which makes them go invisible in the viewport. If it is that, it's easy to fix. With your model selected, just hold right click on it, Assign Existing Material > Lambert1 (or whatever material you had on it).
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah i have had this issue a number of times :D i cant however for the good of me remember how to solve it. but i would try Giometrics sollution.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah this was a common Maya 2011 bug. I just ended up making a mel shelf button that selects all faces and re-assigns the material. Havent had this happen in 2012
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sometimes reassigning material doesn't quite work either, and I've needed to delete and remake the faces.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    The only two things I believe its happening (which people already mentioned) is that or you lost your material or you made these faces hidden. Display -> Polygons -> Invisible faces. To unassign, go to the options of Edit Mesh -> assign invisible faces and then check on unassign.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If they were hidden, the edges shouldn't display.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Giometric wrote: »
    You don't seem to have backface culling on (we can see the inside of the head) so I'm not sure it's a normals thing; if flipping the normals doesn't fix it, I've seen sometimes (rarely) faces will somehow lose their material assignment completely, like they don't even have that flat green thing, just nothing, which makes them go invisible in the viewport. If it is that, it's easy to fix. With your model selected, just hold right click on it, Assign Existing Material > Lambert1 (or whatever material you had on it).
    Sometimes reassigning material doesn't quite work either, and I've needed to delete and remake the faces.

I've experienced this many many times, especially with sub-d's. I usually get it when I bevel edges on a complex mesh. The things above work, but I've noticed that if you undo, then redo whatever you did to make that happen, it won't happen again. It's much easier sometimes just to re-bevel an edge ;)
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Odd thing, all I did was come back to the model the next day and it was fine, pretty sure it is what haiddasalmia said and it a 2011 bug and it fixed it self when maya restarted.