Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Sci fi station

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
I am currently building a level as part of a class assignment, however I don't have time to concept it. After seeing some really kick ass work recently in the sci fi genre by people such as Senefer, Minotaur0 and Stertman, to name a few, I decided to do something sci fi. I am trying to finish props very quickly, spending no more than a day on the high poly, basing them off work that has recently inspired me and whatever I can think of. Also I really want to dig deep into UDK. So here is some of the highpoly renders, and all the textures right now are just placeholders and not at all final.

door.jpg
powerbox.jpg
cable_box.jpg
ground_panel.jpg
screen2-1.jpg
screen1-1.jpg

And of course the concept;

concept.jpg

Replies

• Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    I was looking at your portfolio a little bit ago and I was like "wait..this isn't on poylcount" haha.
    Can't wait to see how it turns out!
  • Mik2121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    Haha, someone else here is using that same concept for his 3D stuff. Well, he re-sketched it for some reason, but otherwise the same.

Anyway, it looks good but right now it feels like your second picture's mechanical element has too many indents that don't seem to do much when it comes to actual use. And your door might have one too many bolts? But otherwise, looking solid.
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz: Thanks man :)

Mik2121: Yea that is where I first saw the concept, his re-sketch is awesome. I did go to town with the bolts, I'll look at toning it down, as for the 2nd one I agree. I'll go back and try and make it more functional. Thanks!

Here is the door bake, just saw the bolt comment, so I will have to go back and re do that, other wise:
    door_bake.jpg
  • Mik2121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good. One thing you might want to add is some sort of frame around the bottom where the floor panel (the thin and long one) meets the sides of the doors. Right now it's just sticking inside it, but in real life there would probably be some sort of frame where they meet, or if it's all one piece (which I doubt), there would be some welding around it.

BTW, I guess you've seen it, but you might want to check this thread for some extra inspiration!:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86451
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121: Yea I totally forgot about that when building it, will have to go back and add it.

So after not working on this, I found out today I have to have the whole level, with rough textures all inside UDK by wednesday, so now I am scrambling to finish it. Made decent progress tonight, tomorrow I have to add the Pillars, hanging wires, ground wires, ladder, and a few other details (for wednesday). Then it will be adding all the details and completing textures/lighting. And critiques would help me a lot :)

udk-1.jpg
    udk_2.jpg
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Does your metal, or any texture for that matter have any specular maps on them? They are looking pretty flat.
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, right now it is purely diffuse/normal. Ill do the spec maps as i finish the diffuse textures
  • Stertman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice progress. i see that you used the same color and text placement as i did on my door that you based your design on. would bee cool to see something diferent to make your piece more unique.
  • lordsme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lordsme polycounter lvl 8
    Very nice progress!!
    I like it very much.
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stermtman: thans man, the door texture is definitely a rip off of your but not nearly as good. I will be redoing the whole thing and definitely change the text at one point or another :)