Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Izmojuki robot - CT44-E

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
Figured I'd give this a thread instead of P&P, so I can get some proper critiques as I go. This is my first full hipoly to lowpoly bake, so I'm learning a lot along the way and am definitely making mistakes as I progress. Please feel free to critique away.

Props to Izmojuki for the great concept artwork this is based on.

247955_137596636316846_113482868728223_258800_194849_s.jpg

Here's the hipoly cage work:

bot5.jpg

A few renders of the hipoly in subD:

bot2.jpg
bot3.jpg
bot4.jpg

Lowpoly wireframe (still not 100% optimized, a skootch messy):

bot13.jpg

Lowpoly+hi/loAO+norm (3dsmax, 3point shader):

bot7.jpg

Lowpoly+hi/loAO+norm (Marmoset - not familiar with ligthing/materials in here, so looks a bit flat):

bot12.jpg

Some of the things I've noticed post-bake is that the inset door panels should probably have their insets widened quite a bit, since the AO at least reads more like a solid shadow line, instead of an inset. Not happy with that.

The lowpoly mesh is definitely higher tri count than it needs to be, but I honestly wasn't sure how well things would bake if it were cleaned up more. I know now that I could have cut a considerable amount more and still get great results, so that's something that I will carry on to the next model. Other obvious mistakes still exist, like the sloppy edges on the hubs, which need to be manually straightened out.

I'll probably be making the hipoly changes I mentioned, before continuing.

Replies

• brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Nice start Mr. Stubbles.

The only suggestion I have, which is a rather small one, is to make some geometry for the door hinges. The normals aren't really doing much for it, and It would help break up how flat the side is.

I'm really looking forward to seeing some textures on this. :D
  • MDSchee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MDSchee polycounter lvl 8
    first bake? dayam, pretty clean for a first time! the ao renders got a really nice feel to it, the slight red instead black is a nice touch.
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Very clean modeling and presentation, look forward to seeing more.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback so far.

@Brandon - popping out the hinges definitely helped, thanks!

Here's a rebake with the updated geo/norms/ao

bot14.jpg

Mipping seems really aggressive in Marmoset - doesn't mip as hard in Max w/aniso filtering. I'll be adding more details in the normal via PS overlay. I was going to ZBrush some stuff, but decided that hardcore damage and deformation really didn't look right on the clean design. I'm mostly happy with the bakes so I'm probably going to continue on with texturing now.

*edit*
    Hah, ignore the fact that the right rear wheel well is also missing :P
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did quick paint overs to find a color scheme I liked. General consensus was that the orange/white is hawt. I also liked that scheme(as well as the yellow/red) so I'm moving forward with that.

bot16.jpg

Tossed the exact design onto the texture and it looks decent on the mesh.
    I'm changing the actual design pattern in the final, so this isn't set in stone here.

bot17.jpg
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    I like the striped designs, as well as the colors, but I think you need to to something to break up the paneling from the rest of the paint. All of the detail is easily lost, making it seem like a simpler, duller model. Maybe even some stickers, AO, or a slight saturation/hue/brightness change to indicate there is more for the eye to look at.

Just my two cents!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's going to be a lot of logos and such on the final, so it will definitely have some separation going on. I could try the hue/bright shift to make them pop as well, thanks for that.