Home Technical Talk

JPG web color tint

Hey so I've had this issue for a little while now and I really want to fix it.

So basically when I save out a JPEG in Photoshop, on my computer everything looks fine... but when I view it online after uploading it, it has a strong green tint.

Here is what I see:
compare.png

The weird thing is that it only seems to be green for me. Everyone I show it to says that it is fine.

Here is the image I uploaded.
jump2.jpg

Anybody else have this issue ever?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• equil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, this has always been a problem. It's hard to pinpoint the problem without knowing in what browser you're having these issues but my guess is that it's related to color management. Read http://www.usabilitypost.com/2008/07/30/photoshop-color-profiles-for-web-images/ and see if it helps.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not seeing the green change, though I am seeing it as being less saturated.

My guess is that Photoshop internally is using the AdobeRGB colorspace while most browsers and other display software use SRGB. AdobeRGB has a different green point than SRGB. A green value of a pixel in ARGB space will have a higher preceptual amount of green than the same green value in SRGB, aside from perhaps near the saturation and black points.

Check your settings for working colorspace. Change it to SRBG, color correct and re-upload.

The settings are under Edit>Color Settings. Shortcut = Ctrl+Shift+K in CS4.
    Change your working space to SRGB.. its probably at ARGB by default.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry I meant red not green. I originally thought it was less saturated but really it is just the red that is being changed.

I don't think the problem is in PS. It is already set to SRGB.

I'm using chrome. But I've been using chrome since it came out... and only recently had a problem.

I just read that link you sent. When I set it to monitor and add proof... it shows what I see in chrome. So now how do I fix it? Because if I saturate it... then everyone is sees it fine now is going to see an over saturated image... right?
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh. hey just found the issue. The JPG you have has its color profile set to ProPhotoRGB

edit: Photoshop respects color profiles, browsers and such just ignore them.

I took it into photoshop alongside a version I copied out of the browser and pasted into a new document in sRGB space and it looks just like the comparison shots you posted.

I converted your original to sRGB with "perceptual" intent. It seems to have retained its overall color balance.
    jump2_SRGBCONVERT.jpg
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How do I convert it? Because I have it already set to sRGB... haha
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heh well there is program working space, then there is file embedded space.

Your photoshop working space is/was sRGB.
    The JPG is ProPhoto.

To convert it go to Edit> Convert To Profile and the dialogue should be pretty straightforward.

To see what profile your images are using you can either : A: Open up bridge and click the metadata pane then look through your files.
    B: In Photoshop open the Info window, click the little black arrow, select "Panel Options" and click the "document Profile" checkbox. That will add the document profile as another line item in the info window.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay I get it now thanks. One last thing. How do I make it so I don't have to convert anymore? Do I just uncheck that ProPhoto thing when saving?

Because I thought I tried that... :P
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It very well could be happening in the camera itself. Your Canon will want to capture as wide a color gamut as possible, and that's what ProPhoto is good for.
    I don't know for sure if you're shooting in RAW or in JPG in the cam or not. If you're shooting in RAW then bringing it into photoshop via CameraRAW then check your import settings. If you're shooting in JPG, check your camera settings, and or just make a photoshop action to convert to sRGB and run it when you bring your photos in, and or batch the whole folder containing them.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Talbot wrote: »
    Okay I get it now thanks. One last thing. How do I make it so I don't have to convert anymore? Do I just uncheck that ProPhoto thing when saving?

Because I thought I tried that... :P

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps10_colour/ps10_1.htm
    Some of the specifics might vary for the newer photoshops, but this article looks pretty legit.

If you're mostly working for web display, you can set the options for color management to use the monitor profile, and opt not to save a profile within images.