Home Technical Talk

Select object by wire, not mass

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
McGreed polycounter lvl 15
Something I never got around to ask, but which I missed from XSI, is that when you click on an object in wireframe, you have to click on the wire to select it. Can you do the same with 3DS Max, because I'm getting really annoyed to click, click, click, click to pick the object inside the other one. Is there a way when you are in wireframe mode, that you need to click the wires themselves to select and not the polygons?

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    ...Sorry but I cant figure out if what you just said makes any sense at all? "Objects inside the other one", are you referring to selecting elements maybe?
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    No, I mean if you got a bunch of objects, like a building, and you want to select the chair in the building, when you click on the chair in wireframe when outside of the building, it 'hits' the wall of the building instead, and you select the building.

I want it to select by wire instead of poly/surface of an object.

EDIT: Hmm, I just noticed it doesn't do it all the time, I just made a scene with models and I can do it, but I can't with my other scene, maybe I click on something?
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    oh, F3 to go into wire-only view mode, then you should be able to select via wires.
  • Brendan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brendan polycounter lvl 8
    With X-Ray (or whatever) on, drag selection over a wire of the chair, being careful not to drag over a wire belonging to anything else. Single clicking just hits the face of the building, but if you can drag (click and hold) select a bit of chair you should get it, I think.