Home General Discussion

CS5 3D painting workflow... What is this sorcery?!

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
I looked over my wife's shoulder a few minutes ago and saw this on the screen.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaN_puwftw4[/ame]

Photoshop, with a 3dsmax viewport in the middle of it? Dear God, WHAT HATH SCIENCE WROUGHT?!

On the serious side - my wife has an extra license of CS5. I'm still on CS3... is this toolset actually useful, or is it more of a gimmick?

Replies

• Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha I've never seen this. I saw the 3d menu but haven't touched it.

I like cs5. I don't really know what the updates are really but I like fooling around with the mixer brush from time to time. :)
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    It's really clunky mind you, if you use Mudbox or ZBrush, trying to use this will a biatch to say the least.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    It's really clunky mind you, if you use Mudbox or ZBrush, trying to use this will a biatch to say the least.

I agree, I tried using it awhile back, and it's really annoying having to switch tools every time you want to move your camera around while painting. I guess we take the user experience of proper 3d apps for granted.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Anytime i've tried to use 3d painting in photoshop it's been slow and clunky. Also defaults to purple lights
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    I would sell the extra CS5 license and just buy a copy of 3DCoat instead.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, almost forgot, you can also use Sculptris 6, it got GOZ support, plus, texturing capabilities as well being free, so yeah, I would say avoid Photoshops 3D texturing like the plague.

If you have Max, you could try Viewport canvas, but you need to make sure you have a robust amount of GPU memory.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    I use it all the time with zbrush.Don't see why you all are against it...

Why use something that doesn't offer a smooth workflow and which is expensive? I don't want to spend 10 minutes trying to get a correct masking to paint my RGB map, why should I, can't I just press one button to mask an area a la Mudbox or ZB style, and left go of it and paint in color next with the masking mixing in my colors?

Also, why is it that it keeps on giving me problems with the fill options on my mesh? Why are the more important functions without a hotkey? Why are some of the things which even ZBrush shows by default in my UI, aren't readily available in PS and hidden within Menu's or Submenu's?

This isn't so much as an extension as it is making a huge mess of things.

I get a much easier time in painting with Sculptris then in Photoshop and it's free. Same with ZBrush and Mudbox as well 3DC, they're all robust. Hell, Mudbox is basically Photoshop in 3D at this point with it's tools, plus, it has PTex. Painting my Normal Maps, Spec Maps all in different layers? Flattening my mesh to UV's so I can sculpt on a flat plane and see the pop correctly with a Normal Maps shader, are all far more impressive...I'm amazed Autodesk did something good for once...only reason I still forgive them for Max 2012.
  • 55joe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i use cs 5, has some cool features but it always does this amazingly annoying thing where it loses selection of the document and you have to click on it again to get it back (most frequent when i undo) so, for example, if i have a brush selected i have to click the brush back on the document to have it reactivate which creates a new action and messes up my undo/redo stack. it happens once every 2-3 mins, ***amazingly*** annoying. happens on multiple comps. ive seen it with other people as well, if anyone has a solution to this id be very grateful
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    to make the lighting fullbright, and make it actually possible to do work with it, go to:

3D > Render Settings

Face Style: Unlit Texture

Will allow you to paint on a layeer, the merge it to the 3d layer without losing color info.