Home Unreal Engine

complex door anim / multiple triggers

rockbox
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
rockbox polycounter lvl 6
hey guys im having a problem that i cant seem to figure out on my own.
first off, what im trying to do is: if the player is facing the door on the outside of a building there is a trigger there that opens the door in a swinging animation away from the player. but once through the door on the inside of the building there is another trigger that i want to swing the door outside,once again opposite the player.

what i have is two animations and two triggers. one animation for swinging open towards the inside of the building and the other animation swinging open outside.i can open and close the door from one trigger but when the door is open and i step inside on the other trigger and "use" it, i got the door to close but the animation is all messed up.i checked the matinee and it doesnt mess up there so i made a mistake somewhere in matinee. please help someone,if you need a picture of my matinee ill post one but its so screwed up im sure theres a more efficent kismet way to achieve this. thanks for reading!

Replies

• Camikaze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds like you need three states for your door - open outside, open inside and closed. When the player approaches to enter the building, the door should open inside, then close when they hit the trigger on the far side. I might not be understanding correctly but it sounds like it's set up so that the door will swing outside even if it's open inside. It should return to a closing state first.
  • rockbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Camikaze, i have a setup doing what you suggested. i have bools set of for the closed states so that if im standing on the trigger inside it checks if the trigger outside was activated and hence the door is open and if thats the case it closes.but when i use it in game it closes but the doors animation screws up and the doors overlap eachother.if i figure out how to do a video i will post it somehow and show you,which would be a better explanation than what i can write here.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I've dealt with something similar with a player's direction through a door switching between two results.

Use a single trigger volume for both sides (as in, one big one in the middle). Output this to a SWITCH. Give this a Link Count of 2 and make it looping. The two outputs go to the two animation of the doors opening.

You can use a retrigger delay so the player can try to reopen it before the the animation is done, screwing it up if they happen to back up right after going through.

You could also setup a trigger to check the player actually went through the door so they can't keep retriggering it incorrectly from the same side.
  • rockbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden, the problem with your solution for me though is that i want to use a "use" key to activate the door,like the use trigger.and i dont know how to use a trigger volume as a use trigger.its just touch,isnt it?
  • rockbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heres the link to a video of whats going on:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZWA-UjlD0k[/ame]

its terrible quality,i dont know of a good tool(im using camstudio i just installed) but i press a key to open and close the doors. and then i walk inside with the open doors and close them from the inside and you can see the doors overlap and if you heard the sound,the "door open" sound and "door close" sounds are inverted. and then it stops letting me open the doors.its terrible quality but if you know of a better free tool to do quick videos i'll post a better one.
  • rockbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    does anybody have a suggestion?its much appreciated!
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    @rockbox: Can you post up your map?
  • rockbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami, whatcha mean my kismet?its just a door that swings in and out depending on what side of the door the player is on. here's my sequence:

kismetdoor2.jpg
    By rocknrollcowboy at 2011-07-02