Home General Discussion

Calling All Level Builders

nfrrtycmplx
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
Yo,

So, as a level builder/designer what do you find is the most common tiling textures/assets you find yourself making?

for instance... I can't tell you how many wood textures i've made over the years, because the ones available for the project didn't quite do the job.

I'm working on a set of materials/assets for level builders/designers to use to prototype their spaces. I'll post some of these in pimping/previews later...

This is based on "photo-real" environments... stylized library would be difficult to achieve.

Cheers

Replies

• EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    I usually create a series of highpoly sculpt textures for stuff like rock and brick (Naughty Dog Style) and create alpha masks for them to blend dirt and other goodies ontop of if a dirty version is needed.

The other side of that is taking pictures from cgtextures.com and re-inventing them with photo-layers and handpainted heightmaps to get a nice fake ambient occlusion and decent normal map.

I always save base versions to alpha blend dirt and cracks on, making them reusable for the future.
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    all good things :) would love to see some of that stuff

(tried to view your portfolio, but couldn't find it) :(

*** edit, nevermind i found it ***

cheers
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    all good things :) would love to see some of that stuff

(tried to view your portfolio, but couldn't find it) :(

*** edit, nevermind i found it ***

cheers

Ah cool, I haven't really updated since I got a job so I'm speaking from stuff I've learnt since I've been in Industry. I enjoy it though so will update some in good time!

Here's a few folio's with really nice tilable textures,

http://www.davidbuan.com/
    http://www.philipk.net/

Goodluck!
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that's cool... i'm not really looking for examples of tiling textures...

but more a list of textures to make for people.

i've already made *(for example)*

Corrugated Metal
    Particle Board
    Wood Planks...

as part of my project to provide resources to env artists/level builders/designers

my deal is that I miss the way shit used to be, when people would make texture packs and people would download them and make badass maps with them...

so for maybe a level designer who isn't terribly interested in making textures or an indy game dev working on a shooter or a mod team wanting to d/l some quick textures or even start-up dev teams looking for placeholder art...

almost free turbo squid...

just trying to get the pulse of the community and see if theirs any textures they'd like...

your standard stuff is like

Rock Walls
    Terrain Textures
    Wood (different wood textures)
    Metals

Wondering if anyone can think of some stuff that I haven't to include in a texture pack ...

or if people are even interested in shit like that... you know?

Anywho, thanks bro!
    also, if anyone would like to contribute to a texture/object pack let me know, i'll gladly and happily include your work/info/contact in the pack/site

Still at work, but i'll post the materials I have in P&P tonight...

Cheers

*** or even for people who just want examples of how others construct their textures... i'll include in the packs whatever resources i used to make the things... with the intention of doing tutorials for them if people are interested.. ***
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good idea to look at others work to just make a list from common shit you see though: so i take back the "not looking for examples" lol :) i feel yah dogg