Home General Discussion

Expectations of new artist

I am a little ways away from working at a studio, but my mind keeps wondering what would be the expectations of a new artist.

If I were to get a job, could I tell them what my weaknesses and strengths are? i.e. I am great at doing props with metal, wood, and plastic, but I am not up to par with making plants.

Does anybody have stories to share about when they first worked at a studio? I am especially interested in self taught environment artist. Also, if there are any tips and tricks to what I should focus on before I start a career as an environment artist at a studio?

Thanks

Replies

• RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking at your work from threads you've posted, you really need to push your art a lot more before you start thinking about getting into the industry.

Onto your question. It depends on what type of games the company makes, what their pre-dominant art style is (or if it changes game by game), and what platforms the game will be made on. Typically what is expected of you will be laid out pretty clearly.

However, don't expect a company to teach you things that you do not know. Even if you get a job in the industry and you have to do things you don't know how to do, you will have to learn mostly on your own. That's what I hear anyways from many in the industry.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    You just need to look and compare. We are always forced to offer the same level of quality or better.

An advice would never to tell your weakness :), sometimes it means an "instant drop". Also, try to surpass what other great env artists are showing in their portfolios.

If you have a quality work, you'll have work granted. There are too many env artists, but those showing quality in their work are only a few. Work hard all the days, reach the goal, and that's all.
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    I guess at your current level you can work with phone games or facebook games.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I was kinda dropped into the fire on my 1st game job. I had the basics down but I was tasked with creating an entire level myself, which was pretty intimidating at 1st. It pretty much just came down to jumping in and tackling all the things I knew how to do.

For things I didnt know how to go about making, I just asked other more experienced team members how they would go about doing it. they always were happy to quickly sit down and explain something or do up a quick example, which helped me not only rapidly learn new techniques but get over that "im just a noob" fear and start to gel well with the team. just gotta giv'er man!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, you need to preform at or higher than the level of their current artists. If you could create an object that people would have a hard time distinguishing from objects already in the game, then you're off to a good start.

No one is going to take on a charity case and hope they improve over time. They need people to hit the ground running, be that guy.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    It really depends on the place of work. If they're good understanding people then they'll know that it takes time to get into things, even for a great artist. I've been both working at places where they've given me time to get into things and some other places where they expected me to be at the same producing speed as the rest of the artists on day one. The latter hasn't been as common though.
    But yeah, this is all step two. The one good advice I can give you is to keep working on your stuff and getting better until a company regards you as good enough to hire, there are no work-arounds. They'll expect you to be that good, you'll have problems if you aren't.
  • polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I am not completely sure when I would be ready for a job at a studio. Originally I planned on sometime in September of this year to have a job as jr artist, but a few months back I had a tough time with normals baking, and once I had a great grasp of that process, I realized I need a lot of work with texturing. And of course I have a lot of polishing to do on every step of the workflow. Although, my goal to make it by September is pretty much out of the question, I still learn and work as if I am keeping the goal. I should be posting my latest WIP today, and hopefully I can learn from those mistakes.
  • polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    By the way, here is my latest wip http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1376120#post1376120 I am hoping through the crits of this model I am pushed on my next one to make it to the next level.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I think everyone is on the right track when they tell you to focus on your art first. You just can't be good at doing 3 things... metal, wood and plastic. You have to be an overall flexible artist. Unless you want to apply to a bigger studio where you only do modelling, or texturing, and even then you have to be even better at it to get the job over the competition.

So keep on working and polish your skills.

What to expect as a new artist. You should have the mindset of getting into the development groove as soon as possible. People that blend right away and start working hard and diligently are the ones that make it far in no time. Don't be afraid of asking questions. If you can stay later and learn more of the tools and the way the studio work do it, it pays off. So just dedicate your time and energy into making awesome stuff and leaning how to be a better artist all the time.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Yep, you need to preform at or higher than the level of their current artists. If you could create an object that people would have a hard time distinguishing from objects already in the game, then you're off to a good start.

No one is going to take on a charity case and hope they improve over time. They need people to hit the ground running, be that guy.

This^

Also, don't be that annoying new guy that is always in everyone's business. Shit gets old. Being eager is one thing, but phew!... some people take it to a new level.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus wrote: »
    This^

Also, don't be that annoying new guy that is always in everyone's business. Shit gets old. Being eager is one thing, but phew!... some people take it to a new level.

AGREED! nothing is more annoying than people that try really hard to stand out by making a comment to anything that is replied or suggested.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    There's also the question of money. Hitting the ground running for a big studio would also mean a big salary. If you can't do stuff that's at their level or higher, they won't hire you and pay that salary.

On the other hand though, you have small studios that can't afford that salary to begin with. So the people who can do big-studio-level work won't apply for those jobs because they need more money. Those studios will hire anyone in their salary range (usually under $40k).

Those places are good for beginners. But still, the rule holds. You have to be able to make stuff that's at their level or higher. It's just that the level will probably be much lower than a big studio. The whole "you get what you pay for" type of thing.

Another place to look at would be outsourcing studios.
  • X-One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One polycounter lvl 18
    As mentioned, you have to hit the ground running. You're expected to be as good, if not better than the other artists on the team. Maybe you'll get a day or two to get used to how the pipeline works in the studio, but past that, you'll have no leeway.

Right now, work on your art. Soon enough, speed is where you'll likely need work. How quickly you can produce work that's game ready is just as important as the quality of the work.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    There's also the question of money. Hitting the ground running for a big studio would also mean a big salary. If you can't do stuff that's at their level or higher, they won't hire you and pay that salary..
    I'm sorry but this isn't always the case. Studios can also hire juniors and pay them less. As I said before it depends on the studio.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One wrote: »
    Right now, work on your art. Soon enough, speed is where you'll likely need work. How quickly you can produce work that's game ready is just as important as the quality of the work.
    I think quality should come before focusing on speed.
    It really doesn't matter how quickly a person can arrive at crappy results if that's all a person can achieve?

Once someone learns how to make quality they can focus on making it faster.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It really doesn't matter how quickly a person can arrive at crappy results if that's all a person can achieve?

Just adding a little extra on this. The more you practice the faster you will get at making env, props and such. If you focus on doing lots and lots of art, you will get faster, more proficient, and improve your art looks by 10 fold. Practice, practice, practice!
  • X-One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One polycounter lvl 18

I agree. I had stated that the art itself is where he should focus right now. Without good art, you're not going to get any interviews. The OP asked what the expectations would be upon actually landing a gig.

Once in the doors, good art is a given. At that point, speed/efficiency matter too.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should probably be hitting your scene quite a bit harder.

It's been three days since you've updated. This stuff is hard work; you are going to need to do this daily if you want to get a job by next year.
  • polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again everyone for the advice. I really need to focus even more then ever on the quality of the work, rather then how fast or proficient I am at creating the art.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    X-One wrote: »
    I agree. I had stated that the art itself is where he should focus right now. Without good art, you're not going to get any interviews. The OP asked what the expectations would be upon actually landing a gig.

Once in the doors, good art is a given. At that point, speed/efficiency matter too.
    Though I do agree with the fact that speed is good I don't think it's necessary to focus on it. The speed should come naturally. Wasting time by taking too many coffee-breaks, surfing the web and what not on the other hand is a bad idea so in conclusion; Don't rush things but try to maintain a speed that fits you. In time you should get better at doing things and it will all go faster.
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goraaz wrote: »
    Though I do agree with the fact that speed is good I don't think it's necessary to focus on it. The speed should come naturally. Wasting time by taking too many coffee-breaks, surfing the web and what not on the other hand is a bad idea so in conclusion; Don't rush things but try to maintain a speed that fits you. In time you should get better at doing things and it will all go faster.

Oh ho ho, the dreaded coffee break whore. Guilty as charged. It's so easy to rationalize.
  • GeeDave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeeDave polycounter lvl 11
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    On the other hand though, you have small studios that can't afford that salary to begin with. So the people who can do big-studio-level work won't apply for those jobs because they need more money. Those studios will hire anyone in their salary range (usually under $40k).

Those places are good for beginners. But still, the rule holds. You have to be able to make stuff that's at their level or higher. It's just that the level will probably be much lower than a big studio. The whole "you get what you pay for" type of thing.

While I won't bite at the notion of larger studios generally producing higher quality assets, I do think you're being bit narrow minded, and possibly even a bit insulting to those of us working in smaller studios. Anyone can work wherever they please, do not judge ability based on preferred working conditions.
  • polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeeDave wrote: »
    While I won't bite at the notion of larger studios generally producing higher quality assets, I do think you're being bit narrow minded, and possibly even a bit insulting to those of us working in smaller studios. Anyone can work wherever they please, do not judge ability based on preferred working conditions.

You are correct. I work at Sony as a game tester, while I have a friend who works as a tester at small facebook app/video game company and he makes double what I make.

So for now, I am just going to focus on my art, when the time comes to getting my work out there and finding a job, I will be very open to where I will work.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    I was asked my strong/weak points, and I do what is expected of me. And if it is out of bounds of what they think I can do, they ask me first.

however, I work at a vfx studio, and they have dedicated teams for say modeling, and texturing that is separate from each other. Out of a dozen modelers, only one of us swaps between modeling and texturing.