Home Technical Talk

Help me with UVs

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Computron polycounter lvl 7
OK, so I modeled a water tower, and mapped out all the UVs, and being that it is my first attempt at UVs I would say I did a decent job. But Mudbox would like to differ and says they are broken when I try to import it for texturing... I don't understand what is wrong with them. I need to know what the problem is, how to detect these issues early and UV tips in general.

Here are some screenshots and I UPLOADED THE MODEL AT THE BOTTOM.
Model:
idzlUu.png

UVs:
idzoc2.png

Download Link For The Model (.Max 2012?): http://www.mediafire.com/?24kbujfbqs2rt38

Replies

• SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Most common problems:

1. Overlapping UV Shells
    2. Shells to near at the boarder(mudbox doesn´t like that for painting)
    3. You accidently deleted some uv´s

The third one is your problem actually, i did a quick and very shitty unwrap with your coordinates which should make problems but it did.
    Then i reset the uvw´s and did another shitty unwrap and it works.

I suggest doing it again and don´t delete some of them.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is no way to bring UVs back from the trash? Is there any way to see what UVs overlap?
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you knew which particuallar uv´s you deleted you could just re-uv the specific part, but i don´t think you know them anymore, and finding it would take considerably more time then doing it again.

To find overlapped uv´s select all uv´s and hit Select->Select overlapped UV´s:
    show_overlapped.png

Hitting the Select inverted should be a thing to do too, because this can bee pain in the ass if you forget it and don´t get where the problem could be ;)
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help. I can't believe Max wouldn't have some way to find these UV problems. Are you sure there isn't at least some script that could do it?
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I think the issue is Mudbox, just to confirm maybe do a automated unwrap of the same model and export again to see if mudbox likes it.
    If it fails yet again try exporting with a different file format (obj, fbx,...)
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It works with a newly generated uvw map. I already tested it ;)
    But in his layout he somehow deleted or stiched something together which shouldn´t.
    You can almost slap everything at mudbox as long as there is nothing missing and it won´t argue(overlapped islands won´t yield the results you want but it doesn´t care)
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How is it possible to delete the uvs? I tried selecting a face and hitting delete, nothing happens. I select all faces in the UVs dialog and then looked in the viewport to see what faces are selected and nothing is unselected which would mean no uvs are deleted.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    In max if you want to start over with the uvw's/trash/delete/throw away/start over, it's utilities, UVW Remove.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The deleted uv´s is more or less a guess, but according to mudbox the uv set you made is not complete that means some uv´s are missing.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All the wooden planks started out as 3 unique pieces and were then copied, instanced, and placed to look unique. then I UV-ed the original with the hope than the instances would inherit the UVs, maybe that's why its incomplete? I can still uniquely texture each piece and get it to work in Photoshop, as long as I don't use Mudbox...