Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LowPoly - Indigo [608 tris]

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Bombshell polycounter lvl 10
Indigo, the character to represent my Game Engine The Push To Build "Indigo" Engine.
A creature I am calling an Identity, Identities will be an extending feature to the engine for peoples Gamer Profiles. Similar to an avatar from XBL.

I know its nothing amazing and the texture is fairly basic, but I'm rather happy with it.
I'm not very good at texturing, precise strokes in painting programs aren't my strong point, so I thought I'd start with something simple.

Here is the Concept:
avatar_system___identities_by_bombshell93-d3jepya.png

Here is a Turn-Table of the model:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JPLGCyYWtE[/ame]

608 Tri's
1024x Diffuse and Glow map

EDIT:
I did a simple subdivide model (some small topo, UV and shape edits) and re-did the texture (which I kind of improvised on bits).
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcT6Q71ycRc[/ame]

2700 tri
512x Textures (glow and diffuse)

keep in mind that the higher poly was just to see how it would look, I will be completely restarting the mesh soon to be used with a customizer, which if all goes to plan I'm hoping everyone will enjoy when done.
So to put it in a nutshell, crits on the low poly or the design are fine but the high poly isn't intended for anything other than a visuals test.

Thanks for reading,
Bombshell

Replies

• gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Is there a reason for him being low poly? Is your engine for web/mobile? If not i think a low poly character to represent your engine would be a bad idea.

At the moment i feel that there are too many polys being wasted on the eyes, which arnt even giving a great effect. Reapplying these polys to the hands would make the model look alot better.

I think there is also some confusion with your texture size. With a 608 tri character one would expect 128 or 256 texture sheet, 512 at most. 1024x1024 on a 608 tri character doesnt really make much sense.

Either way, if you are using such a large texture sheet, why not make use of it and texture more detail in? The eyes for one would be better off textured.

Flat lit model turn table saved as a .gif is the best way to show a model like this too :) saves you having to upload to youtube etc too.
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There isn't a reason for him to be low poly, bar it being easy to sculpt, with the intention of use, I will most definitely make a higher poly version.
    the mesh subdivides well so it wouldn't take much to get the mesh up to standard.

Here is a screen of blender to give you a rough look at the topology,
    idenyscreen.png

The Textures size is only a matter of convenience, Blender just so happens to export my UV layouts by default at 1024x.

As I mentioned I'm not that good at texturing, I definitely intend to make more details maps for other models. Just I was more comfortable starting out simple and clean.

The eye's as part of the design won't have pupils or iris, all emotion is in the face and body movement. So I figured texturing the eyes wouldn't have much point, though if their going to be subject to customization I guess its plausible to allow for eye variation.

I'm not sure how I'd go about saving as an animated gif, I have tried in the past but large gif files just don't animate. I haven't been able to get anything to animate online bigger than 128x. Rendering directly to video seemed the easiest option, if I knew how to do gif then by all means.

Additionally if you save as H.264 in blender, you get a nice mix of small file size, fast render, fast upload and fast processing.

Thanks for the comment,
    I'll keep everything in mind when making the high poly and when making other Identities.

Thanks for reading,
    Bombshell
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did a simple subdivide model (some small topo, UV and shape edits) and re-did the texture (which I kind of improvised on bits).
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcT6Q71ycRc[/ame]

2700 tri
    512x Textures (glow and diffuse)

keep in mind that the higher poly was just to see how it would look, I will be completely restarting the mesh soon to be used with a customizer, which if all goes to plan I'm hoping everyone will enjoy when done.
    So to put it in a nutshell, crits on the low poly or the design are fine but the high poly isn't intended for anything other than a visuals test.

Thanks for reading,
    Bombshell