Home Technical Talk

Generating hair alphas from zbrush sculpt

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
ablaine polycounter lvl 14
Hey all.. I know the title of this thread sounds ridiculous and you're probably thinking "What the? WHY?".. but let me explain what I'm trying to accomplish, if I can.

I'm working on a Troll ceature for a baldur's gate mod and I finally got around to starting work on it's hair.. I'm generally not a fan of using alpha'd hair... I like to see it while sculpting in zbrush so I can get a better idea of the final result.

So I was originally leaning toward sculpting the hair for this creature, when I thought... why not make a strand, duplicate it, move it around a bit, duplicate, move, etc... and then pinch the roots (slightly, only to group them a bit) and then really pinch the tips to bring them together.

Played around with this for a bit the other night which resulted in several subtools of clumped together hair strands which look pretty much exactly how I would want the hair to look if I was using hair planes. It would be easy to retopolgize each "clump" of hair seperately by just extruding the edges of a plane out along the hair and just beyond the tips of the clump.

My question is... what comes next? I use xnormal to generate normals/base texture painting in zbrush/ao... and I'm wondering what you guys think the result of baking the highpoly hair clump to the planes would be.

Could I fill the hair strands with a flat white color in zbrush and then bake the base texture to the flat geometry? Would it provide me with a suitable alpha for the hair?

I've attached examples of the character. Please let me know what you think! Is this a crazy hair-brained idea? Or might it actually work? I'm at work or I'd give it a shot right now! :(

Troll_sculpt_03a.jpg
Troll_sculpt_03b.jpg

Thanks!!

Replies

• sueds
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sueds polycounter lvl 11
    sounds really hard. I don't know where you should start and if it's even possible.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I've used a white polypaint diffuse bake to help with an alpha before, though the object was harder than hair. You'll probably want better sampling, and depending on the result you may need some light photoshop work (I'm not sure what the correct term would be, 'feather' maybe?).
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Played around with this for a bit the other night which resulted in several subtools of clumped together hair strands which look pretty much exactly how I would want the hair to look if I was using hair planes.

Wait - what are you doing exactly ? The zbrush hair in these screenshots is looking very interesting!
  • ablaine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Cryid!

Pior - the hair in zbrush is grouped clumps of individual strands, I just duplicated a single strand and used the move/move topo brush to group them into clumps/layers. I then used the pinch/smooth brushes on the tips. Here's a close up pic.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Ooooh I see!
    On the smaller images it looked like some sort of soft fur effect, but I get it now :)

So regarding your original question then : I think the best way would be to keep what you have at the moment on your highpoly (since it gives you a convincing target look to achieve) but go the very simple oldschool way for the ingame version - manually creating your transparent hair texture, applying it to strips, and so on. Then, using this technique, try to match your intended target look. I don't think you'll be able to take any shortcuts ...
  • ablaine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you again for the response, Pior! I'm a big fan of your work. Very inspiring. :)

I actually gave it a shot last night--painted the highpoly white and baked it to be used as an alpha. Baking it to the polystrip worked fine--I just made sure to run the ray tool in xnormal to get the correct ranges and it baked pretty much flawlessly.

The tips of each strand were a little too solid, but I can take the baked alpha texture into photoshop and break up the thicker solid strands... like Cryrid said, "feather" them out a bit. And then hand paint the diffuse.

But doing it this way definitely makes the building/placement of polystrip hair much easier for me and the ability to bake out a base for each one of the strips gives me something to work with. It should make the whole process of working on hair much easier (for me at least). :)
  • Raj Bharath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone here can send me a Hair Alpha !!! please
  • Raj Bharath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can anyone send me Hair Alpha !! please ....