Home General Discussion

Average salary for a character artist in the UK.

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
Hey,

Just a quick question for UK-based character artists. I'm currently applying for a games job and it states that I should provide a salary expectation. Naturally I don't want to undersell myself but at the same time I don't want to shoot too far over a reasonable estimate.

I was just curious to see what other artists started off on. I've had a look at the "Develop" magazine figures and this says its about £29,000 average for an artist in the UK (but this is a 2009 article so standard of living and economy would have changed a lot since then).

Cheers.

Replies

• Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I've been told to just put "Up for negotiation" or something similar on there and if it gets to the point where they want to hire you you'll sort out your starting salary then.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    depends on alot of factors, how long you have been working in the industry? how many of those are as a character artist? how good you are? where you are living/working? etc.

I think its anything from £25-30k with about 3+ years experience. recession means they will try and get you as cheap as possible so go in high but make sure you say you are willing to negotiate :)
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    crazyfool wrote: »
    go in high but make sure you say you are willing to negotiate :)

~ this ^ (good luck btw)