14j2gp2.jpg

13zznzm.jpg

k0kgp5.jpg

Replies

• Lombos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lombos polycounter lvl 6
    Nice, looks pretty good overall. The attire is working well, appears authentic to me.

The proportions are looking pretty accurate, however I think there are a few areas where the anatomy could use some revision.

The wrist area needs some attention. The forearm appears to run right into the hand, most noticeable in the left image. The forearm in general is a bit lumpy and could use some cleaning up of the forms.

You've made the bicep run into the lower arm in a similar way to the wrist and hand. The bicep will dip in as it meets the muscles in the lower arm sort of forming flatter plain as it hits the lower arm.

Last thing is the knee might be a bit low? Not 100% right now I'm looking at this on a small screen so it's a little hard to tell.

Keep it up, it's heading in the right direction :thumbup:
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    pretty nice, the distance between the tibia and foot seems short compared to the femur however
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    the distance between the tibia and foot seems short compared to the femur however

Yeah I agree, I wasnt sure if it was the actual length of the leg or the position of the loincloth (hiding the crotch area and making the thigh look longer than it should) so I slightly tweaked both giving more gravity and weight to the cloth and accentuating the lower leg a little.

2zggnqr.jpg
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Finally! a realistic model by you! :)d
    I still think the knee needs to be higher up. But i guess thats a personal choice, just as i think forearms are a weebit too long.
    Also, i hope you get as much character out of the face as possible. Its not very generic at the moment, but i think you could push it more :)
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally! a realistic model by you! d
    I still think the knee needs to be higher up. But i guess thats a personal choice, just as i think forearms are a weebit too long.
    Also, i hope you get as much character out of the face as possible. Its not very generic at the moment, but i think you could push it more

Yeah i've been tweaking and playing with the proportions (unfortunately this is taking much longer than originally intended), pulling the elbow down a little and slimming up the legs whilst giving him a slightly larger torso. Im pretty happy with the face atm, its just nailing that final overall look thats the issue.

160razo.jpg

117tw01.jpg
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Good stuff man!
    Anatomy wise, if you're going for the full realistic monty, I'd work on the wrist and feet if I were you. They feel awfully large and bulky for a guy of his posture.
    The feet can be fixed by revisiting that big tendon that runs to his big toe. It's too much. Take off your shoes and just look at your own feet to see how it looks. :)
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    need something going on on those thunder thighs
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback, spent some more time fixing and tweaking proportions as well as some of the anatomical issues. ZBrush is a pain to pose with multiple subtools!!. Got a shield and spear in there too.

Reworked the anatomy under the animal fur and the cotton vest, personally I prefer that version but taking into account authenticity, they would fight with the additional clothing and protection.

147dib.jpg

sqjsro.jpg
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    How did you do that checkered padding? That looks really cool!

Great sculpts dude
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The checkered padding was created by creating an checkered alpha in photoshop and then using the standard brush with rectangular spray settings in zbrush to print the design onto the mesh.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks! (Thought id post again, this work should be seen ) :) !
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Looks cool man, but his back looks really weird! Especially the scapula region.
    It's like you've squashed the deltoids and moved the infraspinatus and teres major up way too much. Awesome stuff none the less man!
  • PHArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really good. His face reminds me of Marlon Brando. :)
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree Maph, although im not sure how much of it looks skewed thanks to the perspective amd angle. I've tweaked this area, giving more girth to the deltoids and pulling down the teres major and infraspinatus. I've also added a bit more fat hanging over the superior lumbar line so that it balances the mass of the muscle.

Im calling this done for now, im reasonably happy with the result and thanks again for all the feedback.

72x4yo.jpg

m799w0.jpg

2j5dj42.jpg
  • Fred2303
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fred2303 polycounter lvl 7
    Nice work! Love it. Just a a small thing, i think that the eyes are a little bit too small, i didnt measure it but i think so. Keep posting :)
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revisiting this guy as i've decided to take him to low poly.

Changed the proportions considerably, scrapping a lot of muscle detail and instead going for a shorter figure with a more natural physique.

jv3w1t.jpg
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update, fairly happy with the changes towards the more portly figure. Will be taking this to low poly soon.

n5of3d.jpg
  • Jarkis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would be hesitant in getting rid of all the muscle definition, I think a combination of your old version and your new would be better.

Hopefully this reference helps to illustrate my critique.

png-wigmen-_25522_600x450.jpg

png-huli-men_25542_600x450.jpg
  • Donavonyoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
    Yeah he looks more mushy now. Those people were still pretty fit, and should have the muscle. The above reference is perfect.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would be hesitant in getting rid of all the muscle definition, I think a combination of your old version and your new would be better.
    Yeah he looks more mushy now. Those people were still pretty fit, and should have the muscle. The above reference is perfect.

Agreed. Cheers for the reference.

I decided to push the bulkiness again. I think the important thing was to keep him looking strong without giving him that gym look as a lot of the exercise done back then would probably come from manual labour and hunting/fighting rather than working out each individual muscle for the intent of toning them.

2v29v8m.jpg
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some low poly and texture work. Pretty much wrapping this guy up now.

2m6anmg.jpg
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    cool, nice character man
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    really cool! I think you could soften the normals on the lower parts of his kneecaps though, shadows are a bit too dark there.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    This looks amazing, well done. What'd you render with? Max, marmoset? It looks extremely clean.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I think the texture could still use some work. The obsidian looks very plasticy, the warpaint is too perfect, and in general he seems a bit too clean.

I'd say you're about 80-90% there, but not 100 just yet.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    I think to help sell the obsidian you should probably throw a gloss map on the guy if you haven't already. Give it a tighter specular highlight
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys.
    This looks amazing, well done. What'd you render with? Max, marmoset? It looks extremely clean.

This is showcase in Marmoset using the "Sunlight" preset at 0.56 brightness and then placing an additional 3 lights into the scene.
    I think the texture could still use some work. The obsidian looks very plasticy, the warpaint is too perfect, and in general he seems a bit too clean.

I'd say you're about 80-90% there, but not 100 just yet.
    I think to help sell the obsidian you should probably throw a gloss map on the guy if you haven't already. Give it a tighter specular highlight

I agree, it could do with a bit of dirtying up.

At the minute its just using a single specular power over the whole model. Do you know if its possible to control the gloss in Marmoset by plugging a black and white map into the alpha channel of the spec map?
    Looks awesome, Baj! I really like the pose as well. I'd love to see him in one or two additional poses on your final presentation just to give a sense of his personality.

Cheers mate, I limited the pose of the character because he doesn't have a mouth sock so I didn't want his body to look quite animated whilst his head look static.
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice, form has definitely improved after the critique,

Lovely will keep a watch to see the outcome of the low res ;)
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Baj Singh wrote: »
    Cheers guys.

At the minute its just using a single specular power over the whole model. Do you know if its possible to control the gloss in Marmoset by plugging a black and white map into the alpha channel of the spec map?

Yeah - use the alpha map as a grayscale to multiply the specular intensity. Use 50% gray as your base and then go black or white depending on the power you want. Unfortunately there isn't a way to control spec. fresnel and spec. sharpness independently.
  • MGM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MGM polycounter lvl 12
  • Intervain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Intervain polycounter lvl 13
    nice! that's a really cool character
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    ysalex wrote: »
    Yeah - use the alpha map as a grayscale to multiply the specular intensity. Use 50% gray as your base and then go black or white depending on the power you want. Unfortunately there isn't a way to control spec. fresnel and spec. sharpness independently.

Are you talking about Marmoset? There's 3 spec sliders. Spec intensity, spec sharpness and spec fresnel
  • Redfender
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks awesome, i like the scar placement, very nice. i feel like there could be more given how bare he is, especially in the legs. the bend in the forearm holding the spear is bugging me.
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    This is turning out to be a treat Baj. Great work.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calling this done now. I think its ready for a break, thanks to everyone for all the feedback and advice given. :)

28hfned.jpg

14j2gp2.jpg

13zznzm.jpg

k0kgp5.jpg
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    This is really nice, man.
    Congrats on another great finished piece :thumbup:
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Sukotto wrote: »
    Are you talking about Marmoset? There's 3 spec sliders. Spec intensity, spec sharpness and spec fresnel

Yes, I am talking about marmoset. Yes, there are three sliders. However, when you want to control spec over a single shader on a single mesh, so that spec is more powerful in one place than another, the only 'map' which you can use is a specular power map. You'll have to adjust the fresnel and the sharpness sliders best you can, but there is no way to control them to be different in different areas of the mesh, such as you can with the spec intensity.
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lots of character, very believable. Great inspiration, as always :)
  • LFT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LFT
    Can you tell me if there is a way to buy your 3d model?
    Thanks in advance