Home General Discussion

New Personal Projects?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Scizz polycounter lvl 11
Just curious as to how some of you begin working on personal projects. Do ideas just spontaneously pop up in your head, do you sit or lie down and just think about what to model/create/draw/whatever, do you just surf the web and get ideas??? Whenever I feel like creating an environment(mostly for practice) I end up just aimlessly searching the web for concept art that I can reference off of. :\

Replies

• ImmortalGrey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Outside of the assignments I get for class, a lot of times playing games inspires me. For example, if I'm heavy into Halo, I'll begin referencing a lot of sci-fi spacey art and come up with props that would fit there.

For my current project, I'm building the first level of a horror game I dreamed up a few years ago, and finally have the know-how to go ahead with it in Unreal. Again, influenced by my undying love for Silent Hill. =]

Very rarely ideas will come to me when I get the chance to shut everything off and just sit down and close my eyes. Let my mind wander, and run with some stuff I think about. Try it sometime, it's amazing effective if you're in a creative bind.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Usually i'll randomly get inspired like Immortal and look up concepts for that game and go from there :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I save images I "want to model" and put them in a folder. There's also projects based around learning or experimenting. And then there's big dream projects I have in the back of my mind based off ideas and values I hold deeply, but don't have the time or resources to do.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I have a large (and by large, I mean it's currently 36.8 GB) projects folder that contains past, present and future projects. It has things ranging from fully completed characters all the way to single reference images in folders of their own that are in need of some love.

I don't have a specific system that I use to select my projects, but I generally have projects in mind for several months before I actually get to a point where I feel comfortable working on them. Some of those projects have been sitting there idle for over four years now. Some are more recent. Some are based on quick doodles or speed sculpts that I've done and would like to take further. Some are based on images I find that inspire me and contain things I think are really cool.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Random inspiration tucked away in folders, notebooks, emails, etc. Saved for when I have the time/motivation to get to one of them.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Inspiration???

Jesus, I have like 5 unfinished things I've been meaning to get back to, and like another 30 personal things I still want to start.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    think of things that are currently missing in the portfolio either in style or technique

as for subject matter, concept is important but execution is even more important. so you could really just take a mundane object and put some small twist to make it your own and then focus on execution.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I too have a potential projects folder. Some ideas are spontaneous as in "wouldn't it be cool", others are based on existing work/ideas where I just want to make a better version of a character or a script which I encounter.

I don't really care about the folio much. I just do what I want to do. I feel it's more fun to work on something I really want to do, rather than "oh I must do a space marine because this is missing in my folio, but I don't really care about space marines much" - it becomes too much like work that way.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    Kwramm wrote: »
    I don't really care about the folio much. I just do what I want to do. I feel it's more fun to work on something I really want to do, rather than "oh I must do a space marine because this is missing in my folio, but I don't really care about space marines much" - it becomes too much like work that way.

i agree with this. i didnt want it to sound like that.
    i dont make stuff that i dont like either for my personal portfolio other wise there would have been at least one orc in my portfolio. unfortunately i hate orcs, elfs or anything of that nature so i would never make them.
    that being said, what i really meant was more like showing a flexible skillset in your portfolio. you dont want your portfolio to be filled with just guns, or just vehicles or just human heads or just stylized hello kitty characters etc.
    just my 2 cents.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    why not?
    why do you need to be flexible if you're kickass at what you're doing? There's many top notch artists who just stick to a very narrow subject matter. The point is: just be good at what you're doing!
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ I read a very good book recently that spoke about how incredibly creative people often do very mediocre in life, whereas 'averagely' creative people do a lot better.

Simple because very creative people fall in love with new ideas all the time and never finish anything, so are left with nothing to show. Whereas the mediocre complete lots of 'okay' ideas which leads to more options and improvement.

Just something to think about when you look at that colossal WIP folder...
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Dreamer wrote: »
    ~Simple because very creative people fall in love with new ideas all the time and never finish anything, so are left with nothing to show. Whereas the mediocre complete lots of 'okay' ideas which leads to more options and improvement.

Wow...I must be VERY creative. :P
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    I wing it and shit gold bricks, but then I wake up and I just start digging through reference folders. Then I mash it all together (unless there's concepts) and get feedback on design from a few people.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    Ideas is cheap execution is expensive .... :o
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    Kwramm wrote: »
    why not?
    why do you need to be flexible if you're kickass at what you're doing? There's many top notch artists who just stick to a very narrow subject matter. The point is: just be good at what you're doing!

the point is to come up with new subject matter and keep yourself interested in the work while you are at it. replying to the original poster, my suggestion is a way how to come up with new ideas.

i imagine it could get boring making the same type of shit again and again and actually become more like work. of course there are great artists with just one type of thing in their sites that they do very very well but that is not the point of the thread. being good at what you do applies to everything i would imagine.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    Usually I find an image online that looks awesome and decide to turn it into a piece. Other times, I have a grand Idea in my head. Usually by the time I'm finished with it it's really REALLY toned down to a smaller scope project.

Currently, it's more about having the energy to keep working on the project I'm currently SLOWLY making my way through. Like...really slow (damn crunch time).
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    usually its other ppl's work that sparks something in me

it can be movies or a new game that im playing, cool vehicles or random pics i see on google while looking for other stuff
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaze369 polycounter lvl 8
    this is how I organize my project folders. I know it's not the most effective way of organizing the projects I want to do but it's working for now.
    game%20projects%20folder.jpg
    And this is how I organize my reference images. It's a bit of a mess I know but maybe it will help.
    reference%20images%20folder.jpg
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    ^i can haz your HDD???

O_O
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Lonewolf wrote: »
    ^i can haz your HDD???

O_O

^THIS!!^
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaze369 polycounter lvl 8
    LOL
    Trust me guys it's not as big as you might think.
    I only have 6GB worth of Reference images and my Texture Library is only 9GB.
    @Lonewolf-i can haz your talent?
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Usually playing a game or just seeing something really interesting in life gets me thinking about an idea. Then I usually head to google images and flickr and start to compile references and doodles some ideas for scene composition on paper.

Using other people's concepts are a tricky thing. It can sometimes be read as fan art. Which I think unless you're trying to work at that company then it's mainly just a practice exercise instead of creating a new portfolio piece. Again I tend to get inspired first then mash up my own ideas. Different things work for different people. I know Gannon just starts making a prop that he thinks is cool and builds a scene around that. That works for him. Maybe email the Concept Artist and get permission to make that in 3d. Plus it gives you another person to contact for artistic advice if you get stuck on the scene.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    I smoke a pack, punch myself in the face a few times and BAM I'm ready to go.
    works every single time
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    I smoke a pack, punch myself in the face a few times and BAM I'm ready to go.
    works every single time
    Is that the Aflac duck in your avatar? lol@your post I will not be trying that.:poly141:
    I kno ur jokin.

I try to compact everything so these are the only folders I have at the moment, got to add more just no time to find inspirational artwork. :(
    I don't save every image I see just the ones I like the most.

On topic:
    Just find things you like best and mash It up making variations, selecting the best one & adding your own flare 'as It were'.:thumbup: