Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

1990 VW Jetta MKII

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
finally got my computer fixed/updated, and now it time for some more projects

seeing as i enjoyed modeling my first car (lamborghini gallardo) which can be seen on my website, i figured why not model a second one so i did :D or at least started too... so for all those who care here are some progress shots

jettaWIP01.jpg

jettaWIP02.jpg

note: unlike the lambo, i want to bake this one down to a low poly and texture it nicely.. so bare with me as things may get ugly towards the end :P

also ignore how crappy my site is, i want to revamp the entire thing, but i think i need more quality work before i bother wasting time on it

Replies

• dogzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dogzer polycounter lvl 8
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    The lambo looked nice, pretty sur ethis turns out great too. Any interior plans?
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys, i want to see how the exterior turns out first - then I'll consider doing an interior
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    finished up the roof/windows minus the sun roof, then im onto the rear of the car :thumbup:

jettaWIP03.jpg

jettaWIP04.jpg
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good, I love me some solid hard surface modeling and this looks great. Nice work so far, any wires?
  • polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Get some wheels on that whip.
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    Very inaccurate, just about everything is wrong. I don't know what to say other than use blueprints and look closely at reference images.

jetta-front.jpg

jettaWIP01.jpg
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh wrote: »
    Very inaccurate, just about everything is wrong. I don't know what to say other than use blueprints and look closely at reference images.

so i went ahead and revisited the blueprints i have been using, and it turns out i do need to make some adjustments here and there - but i wouldn't go as far as saying "everything is wrong" ...unless the blueprints im using are extremely inaccurate then well... im screwed :( lol, but i don't think they are too bad, could use some more detail but oh well

anyways, i did a paint over to point out what i see needs fixing - anything else you guys can see that needs more love please do tell : )

blueprints.jpg
    blueprints_corrections.jpg

and heres another reference image of the car
    STOCKRedA2mk21990TurboDieselJetta.jpg

looking at it more and more, im thinking the main thing throwing it off is that im missing the curve at the top of the front quarter panels and my hood needs more of a down slope towards the headlights

also the bottom of the bumper is modelled and posted in the previous images, i must of had it on a separate layer and hidden when i took the screen shots this time around for some reason, thanks for the feedback guys - just doing my best to get a good looking model at the end of the day
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so got some more work done on this - stanley cup playoffs are eating up my free time, so here is where im at thus far

jettaWIP05.jpg

missing a divider in the rear seat windows, windshield wipers, license plates and wheels... other wise shes pretty much done - a few tweaks here and there especially with the wheel arches so the tires fit in nice

any critiques/comments are welcomed : )
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still a lot wrong with it. The line going from the bottom of the window down to that top trim line should be straighter, yours curves out. The front face also needs to be angled back more. Plus your wheel wells are shaped wrong, they shouldn't ever curve back IN at the bottom like you've modeled it. Also you've added a sharp indent to the side of the rear fender that isn't actually there on the real car. You REALLY need to actually pay attention to your references. Also the window pillars should all be curved outwards, not straight like on your model.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    at least this time you gave reason to your general "Very inaccurate, just about everything is wrong"

"The line going from the bottom of the window down to that top trim line should be straighter, yours curves out"
    -there is suppose to be a curve to it, i guess i went too far

"The front face also needs to be angled back more"
    -not too much more but ok, i can see that

"your wheel wells are shaped wrong, they shouldn't ever curve back IN at the bottom like you've modeled it"
    -the angle/shading of the render make it appear that they do but they don’t actually, they curve to follow the body of the car keeping the same width all around – with the exception of the front bottom part of the front wheel arches might curve in a bit, the bumpers stick out on the sides to give the illusion of the wheel arches curving in - and like i said in my last post, i plan to revise them anyways

"you've added a sharp indent to the side of the rear fender that isn't actually there on the real car"
    -ummmm yes it is (i made it deeper then it should be so it would show nice in a bake)

"the window pillars should all be curved outwards, not straight like on your model"
    -they are pretty straight on the real deal, maybe the slightest curve to them

"You REALLY need to actually pay attention to your references"
    -and you REALLY need to learn the difference between, "this needs minor tweaking" vs "this is all wrong" ...the things you listed need MINIMAL adjustments - i dont want this to come across as i cant take crits, i can and i appreciate you and anybody helping me out, but i don't appreciate you dropping in calling a WIP all wrong and then listing things that are so minor its insulting
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    they're not 'so minor', maybe you don't care about cars or have an eye for cars, but I do.

the line on the back fender is not an indent like you've modeled it, it's just a subtle ridge:
    5cc3404daacaef894324640622679325.png

it's not that hard to model a car accurately, you just have to actually look at your reference images and compare them to your model. also it's getting the minor details right that sets a good model apart from a crappy model.

this pillar looks pretty curved to me:
    f8cd0822b1a2b76c70c2394fba30bb6c.png

I don't see how the angle of the image could be making the wheel wells look wrong, it's a side view ortho and they look wrong. they shouldn't curve in at the bottom, period
    0706et_04_z+1990_vw_jetta_gli+side_view.jpg

Also comparing your model to that ref + every other ref, the top of your bumper is too flat, it should come upwards a bit as it goes into the main body. Same with the rear bumper.

I shouldn't have to walk you through every shape of the car that you got wrong. You really need to work on your eye for shapes and proportions.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahaha see now this is a crit i welcome, its helpful and demonstrates what you are referring too via images and it doesnt come off so negative right off the bat ; )

for the pillars i agree - reading your other post i was thinking you wanted me to curve them the other way, but from you image i can see you mean outwards and i 100% agree. same with the wheel arches, when you said "shouldn't ever curve back IN at the bottom" i thought you were referring to them curving into the car, not curving back towards the wheel
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so this is probably my last update on this dieing if not already dead thread - the car isn't perfect but i like how it overall turned out, still accepting crits but putting any further work on this (lowpoly mainly) on the back burner for now, onto something else : )

thanks to all who helped out

jettaWIP06.jpg

jettaWIP07.jpg
  • markonkp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 this is a really really great job! I have smth to ask you. Im driving this car and I love it. I've searched everywhere for 3d model, cause I want to put it, in nfsu2 :) Now I'm wondering, is there any chance, that you can e-mail me your model? Thank you in advance!