Home Technical Talk

Light Maps in 3Ds Max

Hey,

Im wondering how to go about creating a light map for my scene I am working on in 3ds Max.

My next question would be how do I make an instanced object have a different light map. If they were the same all over the lighting would not make sense.

I was looking at the wiki, couldn't figure it out. :(

Appreciate any help,

Ben

Replies

• polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is what I do...

1. Create your first uv in channel 1 (the one that will be textured.)

2. Save that uv.

3. Then set it to channel 2 and hit reset. then just hit flatten mapping.

4. Go back to channel 1 and load the first uv.

5. go into udk and check both uv's I think "0" should be your textured map and "1" should be the flattened light map.

I am still learning but this is what I figured out to work.

I don't know what the point of the second question is...
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    The first post doesn't mention UDK specifically at all.

Some clarification on what your goals are would help us guide you to the best solution.
  • Delerium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is what I do...

1. Create your first uv in channel 1 (the one that will be textured.)

2. Save that uv.

3. Then set it to channel 2 and hit reset. then just hit flatten mapping.

4. Go back to channel 1 and load the first uv.

5. go into udk and check both uv's I think "0" should be your textured map and "1" should be the flattened light map.

I am still learning but this is what I figured out to work.

I don't know what the point of the second question is...
    No need to save and load uvs, just right click - copy - switch to second UV and right click - paste.
  • BenStrasser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the responses,

Im doing an art test and it requires light maps for my entire scene. Ive never used light maps before so Im not really sure where to start.

Its (the final scene) supposed to be only in 3ds max, no UDK.

My second question was regarding modularity, Say I have a crate, then I instance it around the scene, if they share the same light map, then will it not light the exact same? I think you can have the light maps separate (as Polygonfreak Mentioned) but Im not sure how to achieve this.

hope this info helps,

Ben
  • Delerium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the responses,

Im doing an art test and it requires light maps for my entire scene. Ive never used light maps before so Im not really sure where to start.

Its (the final scene) supposed to be only in 3ds max, no UDK.

My second question was regarding modularity, Say I have a crate, then I instance it around the scene, if they share the same light map, then will it not light the exact same? I think you can have the light maps separate (as Polygonfreak Mentioned) but Im not sure how to achieve this.

hope this info helps,

Ben
    If you do it in 3dsMax you have to manually (use the Pack UVs) separate the uvs so they dont stack on top of each other. A game engine will take care of that for you when you instance objects.