Home General Discussion

Mac App Suggestions.

*** Please don't turn this into a hate on mac thread. ***

Hey guys.

Just got my first mac. I have never had one before so I'm looking to see what applications I should get. I already got Things, Steam, Adobe, Office, and Evernote.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Socialite if it's still available. I got it a looong time ago before they were bought out by another company but if it is still the same, it's an awesome all-in-one RSS/Social Media aggregator which will show you all yout Twitter/FaceBook/RSS updates.

Oh and CandyBar if you want to get busy with changing your dock/icons etc although personally I prefer to keep it stock.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Adium, a multi-protocol chat client.
    Chrome, much faster than Safari.
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    Dropbox
    Appzapper- removes left over things when deleting programs. THis cost money but there is a fre alternative I cant remember.
    Bettertouch tool- Lets you assign new gestures to your trackpad or magic mouse. Awesome. Also includes window snapping like windows aero snap.
    Cinch - Window snapping like aero snap (though if you get better touch tool this is not needed)
    Alfred- Application launcher. .. plus it can do other cool things
    Quicksilver - Another application launcher... can do other neat things
    GrabBox - If you take screen shots it automatically puts them in dropbox and renames and copies the link.
    Colloquy - IRC client
    Macfuse NTFS - LEts you write to NTFS drives. (this is free. you cna also go with the paid alternative made by Paragon)
    Fraise- Nice text editor that has syntax highlighting, line numbers etc.
    Transmit - Very nice FTP c;lient
    Cyberduck - Nice free FTP client
    VLC -.. you know plays movies and junk
    MplayerX- Like VLC but looks nicer
    Perian - makes Quicktime play anything
    Flip for mac - lets you play wmv in quicktime
    Growl- Very nice system notifications (I think most programs install this nay ways)
    UnrarX - lets you un rar files, unrar passworded files etc.
    Springy - Closest thing to winrar to OSX.
    7Zx - 7zip for OSX
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    it's really sad you have to make a disclaimer like that, but you know if you didn't thats exactly what would happen.

if your transitioning from a PC, and still have software you like on windows or want to beable to access files easily on a PC, i like VM ware fusion, parallels use to be better but the new VMware rocks, i can run OSX and windows at the same time, use 3d studio max on windows and maya on osx, its pretty nice.

http://store.vmware.com/store/vmware/pd/productID.165310200/Currency.USD/?src=PaidSearch_Google_PersonalDesktop_Fusion_NORAM_BLANKET_EN_Brand&resid=Tdl5vgoBAlgAABJeqCkAAAAq&rests=1306098110145
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    A somewhat shameless self-promotion - http://dropinapp.com/

Adds a bunch of features for keeping track of your Dropbox. Really handy.

We launched it about 2 days ago. I did all the design stuff for it :)
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Apart from the big apps like Lightroom, Silo, Zbrush and Photoshop the only non-stock software that I run is:

* Dropbox
    * Chrome
    * VLC for those few moviefiles that Quicktime doesn't like
    * Handbrake for ripping my DVDs to my media server
    * Cyberduck for FTP
    * UnrarX for Rar files

I've dropped Quicksilver for the standard Spotlight.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Here's my favs beside the obvious ones (Firefox, Chrome, yadda yadda)

RCdefaultApp - changes the default app for opening files with a certain extension
    Bean - super light weight Word like text editor. When you don't need all the office bloat
    MplayerX - a bit more leight weight and stable than VLC
    Perian - codec for Quicktime to play almost everything
    Startup Sound Pref Pane - no more annoying BLAMMMM sound when you turn on your mac (i love having this on my macbook...especially on the plane when everyone else is asleep)
    XSlimmer - slim down your apps and save space - removes unused languages and platform support (e.g you don't need powerpc binaries on your intel mac)
    Witch - make Alt-Tab more windows like - i.e. show all open windows instead of just open apps.
    The Unarchiver - I replaced UnrarX with this because it handles more formats (7z, rar)
    Bootchamp - quickly boot into bootcamp via a menu-bar icon
    Crossover - less bloat than a full fledged VM. I only need this for retarded MSIE only internet banking.
    Macintosh Explorer - like the windows explorer. let's you manage your files in a windows style way.
    coconut Wifi - offers more wifi info in the menu bar than the default apple wifi icon. Good if you have a mac laptop and look for public wifi.
    Flux - changes the color temperature of the display to make it nicer to look at in dark environments. Good for reading / web browsing. Don't use for any art related work though.
    Boxer - it's just DOSbox, but with a very comfortable Mac like interface and automated game import and launcher. super!
    MacFuse - NTFS access. I use it too. very nice
    Growl - just get it. it's great!

Microsoft Messenger - is included with the latest office, looks like the one on Windows. Maybe there's a stand alone version.

Fraise - nice text editor but quite old
    Smultron - successor of fraise but not as good as e.g. SciTE on windows
    Editra - best mac text editor I found. But is still a bit rough on the edges
    (I'm really considering writing my own Scite clone :( )

Stuff I'm missing on the Mac:
    - a good text editor like Notepad++, SciTE
    - a good picture viewer like xnView (don't mention xnView MP. it's horribly incomplete :( and everything else just sucks or turns out to be a full picture library a la Lightroom)
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    If you're ever in the mood for paid software;

Cinema4d - capable modelling software, although some people swear by it, others dislike it.
    Coda - hands down the best code editor.
    Xcode - if you ever fancy coding something in Objective C for Mac or iOS
    Fontlab studio - making fonts
    Pages, numbers - OSX's cheap and very user friendly version of Office.

free stuff

Mamp - for running an apache server locally
    Net news wire - RSS reader
    Audacity - audio editor
    Unity

emulation

http://www.pure-mac.com/emu.html

other:

http://www.pure-mac.com/
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Coda looks cool ... is the output window when you run e.g. python code on the side or below the editor? because almost every editor I tried so far seems to have the output below (with no option to change that!!!), which sucks on widescreen displays. especially the one on the macbook air.
  • bgoodsell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd recommend dockgone which is a paid app, but gets rid of the dock until you need it. Its great for doing that full screen work. Also, Caffeine is a great app to disable macs sleep mode on the fly.

Other than that, crazybump came out for mac a while ago so you have that program to add if its part of your workflow.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    dockgone looks nice, especially since you can put it on a hotkey. Also look useful for dealing with crossover full screen apps. For some reason crossover always drew stuff behind the dock.
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    hawken wrote: »
    If you're ever in the mood for paid software;

Cinema4d - capable modelling software, although some people swear by it, others dislike it.
    Coda - hands down the best code editor.
    Xcode - if you ever fancy coding something in Objective C for Mac or iOS
    Fontlab studio - making fonts
    Pages, numbers - OSX's cheap and very user friendly version of Office.

free stuff

Mamp - for running an apache server locally
    Net news wire - RSS reader
    Audacity - audio editor
    Unity

emulation

http://www.pure-mac.com/emu.html

other:

http://www.pure-mac.com/

For xcodee, you can get it free.. It is located on the OSX install disc. Though it is version 3. If you want Xcode 4 you have to pay 5 dollars for it through the mac app store...
    Maybe it will be included with lion....

I like coda, but for me it has too many features. I have yet to find notepad++ equivalent for Mac.... One day I will get around to writing my own ;)
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    VPrime wrote: »
    I like coda, but for me it has too many features. I have yet to find notepad++ equivalent for Mac.... One day I will get around to writing my own ;)

hehe. I just compiled my little QScintilla based editor I wrote for learning purposes on OS X. Added some tabs and load and save functions. But I cannot launch my python scripts yet, like in SciTe...well if I have some time I might add that and share it....also I need to figure out how to tell Qt Creator to create x86 binaries.
  • oXYnary
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    oXYnary wrote: »

it's no worth the trouble, things never end up working perfect on it and there is a lot of dicking around just to get things to work on it.
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    http://culturedcode.com/things/
    http://culturedcode.com/things/screencast.html
    If you ever listened or read anything about David Allen and his workflow to "the inbox"
    you'll love this !
    Its a to-do list on crack :)
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Wing
    If you dig python coding this is awesome. The code intelligence is a life saver.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All this talk of hiding the dock...

can't you do it with a shortcut?

Ctrl+Option+D

Or something similar, I'm at work now and not on a Mac so I can't test it.
  • kolbyjukes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kolbyjukes polycounter lvl 18
    Kwramm wrote: »
    - a good picture viewer like xnView (don't mention xnView MP. it's horribly incomplete :( and everything else just sucks or turns out to be a full picture library a la Lightroom)

Try Xee, closest I've found to xnView:

http://wakaba.c3.cx/s/apps/xee

Mac apps I swear by:

Scrivener: a great creative writing application
    Sparrow: a minimalist gmail client
    iVl: converts video into itunes/appletv/iphone format, adds metadata and imports the video into itunes. All in one click.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    thanks Kolby. I saw they updated Xee - my internet at home, where my mac is, is down so I cannot check - but did they add proper up/down scaling in this release? I liked Xee except for the awful bilinear image scaling...
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    'scuse me if any of these have been named already:

letterbox plugin for mail.app - displays inbox and mail content side by side, nice for widescreen users
    cog - simple music player, totally unlike itunes...
    movist - movie player based on vlc (?) with pretty much same compatibility but less UI clutter and more performance
    smultron - decent text editor
    carbon copy cloner - for making backups, including bootable system disks
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    oh and...

little snitch - firewall to keep your installed programs from accessing the 'net behind your back. payware tho