Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First project

catalin01
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
catalin01 polycounter lvl 10
Well my first finished model and all most textured :P
<script src='http://imageshack.us/shareable/?i=unledyz.png&s=59&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript>unledyz.png</noscript>

Replies

• MoreDread
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lookin good for beeing the first.

what bothers me is that i can't tell what kind of material this is made of.
    wood or leather?
    concrete or metal?

and why does the top part with the lamps on it seem to have alot more polies than the rest of the model?
  • ariofighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ariofighter polycounter lvl 13
    If you look at the bottom right of the img, where the front of the seat meets the top of the seat you can see that the bevel emboss you ran on the line is inverted. Its a mistake I used to make a lot when I was getting started. Be very sure when you use that 'layer style' on a line that the light source is coming from the same direction across the texture page. Or else you will end up with highlights on conflicting sides.

Keep it up though. Its beater then my old first stuff getting started.
  • Addieo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For a first attempt at modelling and texturing, you're doing an awesome job!
  • catalin01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    catalin01 polycounter lvl 10
    A few photo's :)
    seatwy.jpgseatspecular.jpgunledvb.jpg

The reason there are some noticeable differences in the model is because some have turbosmooth applied. I am sure when i get more experience in lighting the usage of shader's and the right set-up, i can improve much on the appearance of the model ...so study study :))

seatqx.jpg

(Question - should i use turbosmooth on game models? )
    How do you block out an environment or a simple model, to get a well defined measurement of proportions, close to real life, if u don't have to many reference photo's or just working whit one concept drawing

Can any one recommend me a good resource site or a tutorial where i can learn more about the usage of shader's and maps ?

As a beginner what do you recommend i should try to improve, what course of learning have you embark on as a novice, for the noble quest to become a better man in the MAX universe :P.
  • Addieo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't use turbo smooth on game models only on their high poly counterparts for baking the normal maps from.