Home General Discussion

geforce 9600 gt

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
oobersli polycounter lvl 17
So I've had this card for a few years now and the fan makes a horrible whining noise. It can start out pretty quiet but it works its way to "ripping your ear drum out" loud after a while. Never have any issues of overheating or loss of performance either.

Wasn't sure if anyone else had this card and the same issue. Its the fan on the card for sure, and also wondering if there is a cheap/quick fix to making this damn thing quiet.

Replies

• Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, no idea what the problem is really. I did once have a CPU, or rather, my current CPU did once sound like a vacuum cleaner. I managed to solve it through the BIOS and SpeedFan.

So you could try, either getting an app like SpeedFan. Not sure if it'll be able to control the speed of the GFX card fan, but ought to be, and then lower the speed of it. While making sure the temperature don't go off the charts ofc :)

Or else, not really a quickfix though, but, you could try killing the fan and then putting a new, bigger and more silent one on top of the card. Might work :p

Cheers
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    You can often find aftermarket coolers (which replace the fan and the heatsink) at sites like: http://www.frozencpu.com/.

However, it may be difficult to find one for the 9600gt as it's a little bit older. And for the price of one of those coolers you might be able to snag another, similar card. In fact, I've got a 9600gtx for sale. :shifty:
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    hey man I had the same card and the same issue- it's probably very dusty- you can remove the card and blow compressed air into it and clean the really caked stuff off with a qtip. Problem is- it may be too late. I went through the trouble of cleaning mine after noobishly never cleaning the card fan for 4 years. it helped for about a day. Ultimately I just replaced it- for 100 bucks I snagged a new card with more mem and dx11 support..
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got this fanless 9600gt, though I added a 120mm slow speed fan on it just to be on the safe side. It takes a ton of space but makes very little noise.

You could make your own with this. Though you might as well just buy something like this and save yourself the trouble.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    A few years back, I took my pc in to get a new power supply. The guy didn't like there was dust in my machine, he was one of those nerd "clean freaks", so he blew all the dust out with an air compressor. It was too powerful, and knocked my video card fan out of alignment, THAT got loud. Eventually had to have it replaced.

Have you looked into upgrading your card? I have the same card, and I THINK I paid about $50 for it two years ago. Might be just as cheap to upgrade at this point
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had the same problem with my 9800 last year but didn't realise what was wrong until the whole card ended up burning out. Replace it if you can, clean it if you can't.