Home Technical Talk

Blender TF2 Origin issue?

X82
I've been using 3DS max for over a year now and thought I would make the leap to blender. Its a learning curve, but so far its impressed me.
I've tried doing more TF2 modelling in Blender but came across an issue.

I import the spy arms smd into blender, it sets the origin point in the centre of the screen as you can see, far away from the arms.

2s93h1j.png

I then import my model which I made and fit it inside the hand to start animating.
I have attached a weapon bone (however its not named weapon bone yet, just bone) to the object, make the weapon bone a child of the root bone and then skinned the bone to my object. So far so good.
But when I export the smd, compile and view in HLMV, its not right, as you can see.

169izpe.png

In blender the sword is in the hand perfectly. But when I export and compile, it moves the sword to the origin point of the arms. Why?
Any ideas?

Replies

• passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    ya dont know never had that issue the ony weirdness i had going to source with blender stuff is the Y vs Z up getting mixed up.

also why would you want to move to blender if your already a max user?
    are you just using blender for animation and exporting?

just asking since i find blender modeling tools to be pertty far behind everything else like max or maya silo.

i cant denie the interface is efficient and i like how the interaction with tools works especially not needing to use a transformation widget for simple operations and how it handles numerical transformations. but missing what i would consider a lot of basic polygon modeling tools and the lack of n-gon support ruins any efficiency gains i get in other areas.
  • X82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X82
    This is true. My main reasons for moving was because max was a resource hog, took forever to load and install and did crash on me a few times. I like the blender modelling tools though. But this problem does give me cause to move back which I think I will have to do.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    X82 wrote: »
    This is true. My main reasons for moving was because max was a resource hog, took forever to load and install and did crash on me a few times. I like the blender modelling tools though. But this problem does give me cause to move back which I think I will have to do.

ya i know it is possible to get it to match up since i did work on some hats way back when tf2 did the polycount update, but i got no clue what i did to make it work.

your using 2.57 and http://code.google.com/p/blender-smd/ right?
  • X82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X82
    Aye yep. Using that. If this problem was sorted, I could try sticking with Blender. Currently, its 3DS max again.