Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Art-Dump] - Jordan Kocon

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys, so instead of starting new threads every time I decided to start an art dump thread. Please critique both my work, and my website/its content :)

Here is what I am working on now, practicing high to low poly bakes. Made this AC unit in about 10 hours, now going to try and do the bakes

AC_unit.jpg

detail.jpg

And here is a gun I recently finished

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nYjlfzSg-A[/ame]

Replies

• mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is one nice AC unit!
  • XXXTHECHAD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice Dude. You should put up some pics of your wireframe too! What did you use for rendering?
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chad: Too lazy for wire's right now, but I will post when I'm done the low poly. I used 3DS max with an arch shader to render.

So here is a wip of the texturing. Any comments on how the base grime is looking? I still need to add a bunch of stickers and work on the stuff on the side.

1.jpg
    2-1.jpg
    3.jpg
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calling this bad boy done, moving onto another prop :)

1-1.jpg
    2-2.jpg
    11.jpg
    10.jpg
    9.jpg
    diffuse.jpg
    spec.jpg
    normal.jpg
  • Mik2121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    The indents (the top one, anyway) where the bolts are placed near the propeller (?) look a bit weird at some angles.
    I checked your normal map and while the one at the bottom looks fine, the one at the top looks a bit thin on the right side.

Otherwise it looks really nice!! Good job!.
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    your cage is causing the bake to average the faces together and treat it almost like a cylinder. you can see in places the bolts are pointing towards the centre of the face they are on.
    to solve this you need to add in some edge loops on your bake mesh, nothing permanent, just something to guide the auto cage when you bake in xnormal.

cxavS.jpg
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    You Wasted a lot of polygons on the fan Grid, but you lack them in your borders and other parts, Its a shame because you did a good job with the High poly model.
    Get back to it, remove some loops on that grid (The normal map will take care of the curvature) and add them to your bewels and other zones that needs more love, for example you could have made the grid rounder, if you remove some loops.
    Also, your speculars dont seem to be working at all, check the levels on marmoset. :S
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121: Thanks for that, totally missed that before. I will fix that right away, I think I know what you're talking about.

Rick_D: I read some stuff on cages, but had no idea what they were talking about. I see what you mean now with adding those edge loops, thanks for that, will re-bake with those in.

Cap Hotkill: Yea it did seem rather high poly, will try to clean up what I can there and redistribute. As far as marmoset goes, will try and get that damn spec to show properly :) Cheers.
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I tried adding the support edges as stated, and my bake is still FUBAR. Any ideas as to what is going on??

geo.jpg
    normal-1.jpg
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finished another high poly. Gonna try those baking techniques on this guy, and see if I can get them to work, then go back and fix the ac unit.

booth_1.jpg
    booth_2.jpg
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    sweet , great piece ... cant wait to see it baked and textured :D

good luck
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    Your High poly models are excellent, lets hope you get the trick of low poly + normal mapping soon, btw, speculars are very important on metal pieces, so don't forget to work extra on those ;)
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Dosn't the "phone part" of the phone look a bit to small? If you know what i mean :D The highpoly looks sexy :)
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    great HP dude !
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44: Thanks :) Will hopefully finish the lowpoly + unwrap tonight, but with the long weekend here and my buddy coming up, progress may halt for a couple of days.

Cap Hotkill: Cheers, I will definitely be revisiting the spec and bake on the ac unit after the phone booth!

SltrOlsson: That gave me a good laugh ;) Thanks!

Mistry10: Thanks man, been following your work, your last peice was awesome! And your principles office is looking crazy in the best of ways.
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So ya, running into the same problem, even with support edges. I'm sure there is just something I am missing, but I really have no idea. You can see the 'buttons' normal mapped fine, but the edges are all messed up. Help!!

bakeerror.jpg
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    yea dude, I'm going to subscribe to this thread cuz I can never get baking/texturing right on my models. good luck man
    P.S
    that exact shit happens to me^^
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    Is there a UV seam there? There should be, with separate smoothing groups on each side of the 90 degree angle. That's what most commonly causes the problem.

I wouldn't even say the buttons look that great, either, though - I would use some extra geometry, because those telephone buttons, on the model and in real life, are sticking out a quarter of an inch or so.

Very nice modeling, though - any comments on your particular render setup?
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    try to chamfer this edge on your lowpoly . can fix the problem
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    Hey Jordan, first off those holes on the phone are going to cause problems if you don't model each hole, if you want to just have them be in the normal map then you'll need to fill in the holes and just make them indention's. The HP is looking great though, and as Razgriz said a seam is needed along the hardened edges of your model. If it needs to be a hardened edge then you need to split it up and move it slightly away from the geo within the UV map so that it can create smoothed edges across them. Yes this creates more seams but it will make for a much better bake. Also if you are setting up smoothing groups make sure you export as .fbx to xnormal so it will keep the groups, .obj doesn't keep them (at least in maya anyways).

Good luck!
  • chinups
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chinups polycounter lvl 17
    I really like your stuff, all i can say is your maps are *^%# huge there's no way you could have that flexibility in the industry
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    I think it looks like inverted green channel on the normalmap..
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz: There is no UV split, I just learnt that you had to do that, so I will be re doing the unwrap and the bakes. I will also add geo to the buttons, I know the bake didn't like great, but I just meant they were actually working (just not really strong). As far as the render setup goes, I learnt it from the EAT3D tutorial on the high poly dozer. To be honest, I have no idea how to use max, I just use this for my hp renders at the moment.

ayoub44: Beveling the edge would probably help, but I'm getting this problem on all sharp edges, and I can't bevel them all, I need to learn the proper way, which by the sounds of things is splitting the uv's.

DDuckworth: Thanks for the reply, I agree with the holes, not sure if I will include them in the lowpoly or just have them in the high poly. And as stated earlier, just learnt about the UV splitting thing and will be giving that a go :)

Chinups: Thanks! Yea I know my maps are huge :S Will try moving to 512 map sizes.

SltrOlsson: The green changel isn't inverted, the normal map just sucks haha.

Thanks for all the replys. Been really unmotivated lately with having all these baking issues, and summer starting and such. So I decided instead of doing nothing/trying to rebake everythig which I wasn't feeling I would do something I actually wanted to, which is another high poly model. So here is the work in progress on my m79 grenade launcher. When it is done, I will be baking the low poly, texturing, then going back and fixing the ac unit and redoing the bakes and such on the telephone.

I am having a lot more difficulty with this then I expected to. Was hoping to get your guys's opinions, and know if you can spot the pinching that is going on (wondering if I am just being too anal...)

m79_1-1.jpg
    m79_4.jpg
    m79_2.jpg
    m79_3.jpg
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    w.i.p of phone booth texture

phonebooth-1.jpg
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And I'm done with this guy. Going to finish the grenade launcher then start an environment.

Any C&C would be great

dawn2.jpg
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    This came out great man, glad you stuck with it, you have pulled off something that is pretty rare in 3D - convincing graffiti! The only thing that seems a little off is how pristine and unscratched the bottom half of the phone box is as well as the phone itself, it looks brand new! Scruff it up in the spec some so that it will fit the rest of this piece :D
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth: Hey thanks man! Ya good call on the phone being pristine, I'll definitely fix that, and I'll scuff up the bottom of the booth as well.
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my next piece, an m79 grenade launcher. I think I'm done baking? Gonna move onto texturing unless anyone can see anything wrong/to be added.

Edit: It weighs in at just over 4k tris

wip.jpg
  • XXXTHECHAD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You just need to fix and paint out some minor normal problems around the barrel of the gun and such. Great job friend!
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XXXTHECHAD: Thanks guy, I fixed the normals!

So I think I am done with this one, gonna move onto a sci fi fighter arena environment and another weapon. I think this weapon looks a lot better in engine, the spec makes stuff pop, hard to capture it in stills.

thumper_5-1.jpg
    thumper_4-2.jpg
    wires.jpg
  • Ihazard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The wood should probably be a bit darker and desaturated, but the texture itself looks pretty accurate, maybe add some of the grain to the normals to make it pop a bit more. The scratches on the metal look a bit too big, especially the one on the main part of the barrel which seems very random, also that big dent would probably make the weapon unusable so maybe remove it?

You can see the damage on M79s here and here where it is pretty thin on the main edges and has a high specularity compared to the low specularity of the weapon itself.
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ihazard: Thanks for the reply, will go back and fix those today :)

Edit: Video with the stuff fixed

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7vpzT74RA4[/ame]
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is some work in progress of my most recent weapon. Going to be adding a scope and a flashlight. Having a lot of troubles with the handle.

C&C would be great!

python_2.jpg
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
    My question is, how would you go about modeling this design?
    qaVf0.png
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154: I just made one diamond, and duplicated it around a circle. It is just stuck on the outside of a cylinder. It is a bit of a cheat, but I figured the piece was small enough it wouldn't even be noticeable that it is floating geo:
    diamonds.jpg
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ALright, its been a while since I posted, been busy with travel and such. The python is on the backburner, but I came across one of Aaron Foster's concepts and he gave me permission to use it. I really want to dig deep into UDK, and here is an early shot of the level, and some of the highpoly's. All the textures are currently just place holders. Most of the props are just mashups of stuff I've seen/been inspired by from others.

940x652.jpg
    powerbox.jpg
    cable_box.jpg
    ground_panel.jpg
    angle1.jpg
    angle2.jpg