Home General Discussion

Just left my first interview! So nervous! Help?

Hello everyone! I just left from my first interview and I would like some advice and perspective. Here is a quick rundown of what happened:

* Got at their office 15min earlier, chatted with receptionist and looked around.
* Met with the recruiter which proceeded to show me around (mainly by pointing around).
* Met with art director and art lead.
* We all went to a local restaurant and had lunch, talked about art, games, working environment and many different topics. I tried to be as polite as possible, answering all the questions and shutting up so I wouldnt be babbling too much. I just gagged at two questions for which I did the "Thats a good question, let me think about it for a sec." but I cant shake the feeling I screwed up on those two cause the art director later said "you dont have to worry, I am done with those hard questions" and even though he seemed to be enjoying himself I dont know if they were honestly having a good time or just being polite.
* We all head back to headquarters which we all had a nice cup of coffee at the balcony with an awesome view of the city. Talked a bit more about work, kids, hockey and life. I asked a few questions (I forgot most of them since I was nervous).
*At the end the art lead said he will be sending me an art test to my email with all the specs and deadline. "Dont take this personally but we ask everyone for an art test"
* I thanked them for everything, said I really appreciate them taking their time to meet me, I said I had a great time (which I did!). I made clear I really would love to work there and then I left.

So what to you guys think? I made quite sure I would love to work there, I was as polite as possible, I didnt eat too much and behaved at my best. Tried to answer every question the best I could and I hope I made a good impression. I will send them an email thanking them for everything.

But about that art test: Is it normal to have an art test AFTER the interview? I am so nervous I dont know what to think. I had an honest good time and I really can see myself working there. I got a feeling the art director would be a cool guy to hang out with even outside work. The art lead was serious and professional but seems to be a nice guy aswell. So what do you think? Im so nervous! Help! :P

Replies

• [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I really don't think why people make such a big deal and are so nervous about this things, just relax ffs, this is the games industry!

Firstly and foremost, you are interviewing them as much as their interviewing you, even if you have zero games industry experience.

Judging by what you wrote, it went pretty well and you shouldn't be worried or nervous, and yes it's normal to have an art test after the interview, some companies do it differently, it's completely normal. Just go get a beer and get ready for that art test, good luck! ;)
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    agree with [HP]
    chill out!..next you'll tell me you went there with a suit on?! fuck that, Doom3 t-shirt all the way!

hockey?! YEAH! GO SWEDEN!

(good luck and all that!)
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    I understand it's your first interview for a job in the industry but I would recommend relaxing a bit. It sounds like you're still pretty nervous("I didnt eat too much and behaved at my best" among other things). Anything could happen, even if the interview went very well. They seem very interested though, At all the places I've been to interviews at where i didn't get the job they never invited me to have lunch with them. They even invited you back to the office after the lunch so that sounds good.
    I don't know what company it is but a friend of mine who was applying to a company in Malmö said that she had to do 2-3 different art tests and visit them several times(she lived in Gothenburg) before she got the job.
    Bottom line is; Take it easy, it's summer. Go out and hang with friends. If you get the job then great! If you don't then continue applying(As I assume you're still doing?).
    Good luck though!

Edit: Forgot to add that my friend was a very good artist before the interview and still is.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Just make a kickass art test and all your worries will dissolve! if you are confident and you show your potential and knowledge through you work you will be a strong candidate. It is pretty common for them to invite you (if you are local) to come in and chat and look around and then give you an art test after. Usually it's a phone interview and then the art test for the rest of the people in another state.

One thing you gotta remember, if they implement art tests then they have to ask EVERYONE to do them or it's considered Employment Discrimination. So don't take the art test as a bad omen, but as a chance to show them how awesome your art is.
  • Nex_Nova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They wouldn't have given you a test if they didn't like your personality in the first place.

Focus 100% on the art test, make sure you read well the description of the task before jumping into it head first.

Read it again.

If they have a similar product live to the one you would be working with spend sometime playing it before you start the modelling.

Chances are they will compare your product with their internal expectations.

Don't be lazy in the art test, a.k.a. don't take lazy shortcuts in the Normal Map generation and pay attention to details such as smoothing groups etc.

This is assuming you've interviewed for a next gen game.

Good luck!
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    That's kind of weird that they gave you an art test after the onsite interview... I mean, they spent money on taking you out to lunch, and more importantly the chunk of time out of everyone's schedule to meet and talk to you. Usually companies don't commit to that until after a test, if there is one.

I knew someone who got an art test after an onsite interview as well, but that was an unusual situation where he went directly to the company with his portfolio, and they just happened to be nice enough to speak with him.

Anyway, it sounds to me like things went well for you... I suppose they wouldn't have bothered giving you a test or anything of that sort if it didn't. Good luck with it!
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing, why spend money on someone, if they ultimately would be judged on the art test.

Good luck with it, mate. Let us know of any progression.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    haikai wrote: »
    I mean, they spent money on taking you out to lunch, and more importantly the chunk of time out of everyone's schedule to meet and talk to you.

that's peanuts comparing to the cost of actually hiring someone (like relocation cost, lodging for the first week/month, all taxes and social stuff you have to pay once the guy is hired). You wanna make sure the guy is right. That's comparing a EUR 15 lunch to expenses of a few 1000 euros.

But it shows they're taking this seriously and there's a good chance to get the job.
    Now they may ask for an art test because they're not 100% sure, or because company rules are company rules and everyone is treated the same.

Or because it just happened that everyone was around and available - I remember sometimes getting introduced to people at really weird stages of the interview.
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tip: smoke weed before interview..

I had a interview at a guys apartment before.
    where they had a mexican ( little person ) giving me art directions being translated to another guy in english then being told to me.

I think you did a good job though
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    makecg wrote: »
    tip: smoke weed before interview..

I had a interview at a guys apartment before.
    where they had a mexican ( little person ) giving me art directions being translated to another guy in english then being told to me.

I think you did a good job though

.....wat? o_O
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    makecg: how much did you smoke before that "interview"? smokin.gif
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Did you remember to ask questions?! Its always good to ask questions!
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Now just take the day off to j-off man.

Call that hot neighbor over and do some body-shots!
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    You'll do fine man, had a look at your folio, it all looks good :) Just keep working hard within their specs and you'll do fine :thumbup:
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Kwramm wrote: »
    that's peanuts comparing to the cost of actually hiring someone (like relocation cost, lodging for the first week/month, all taxes and social stuff you have to pay once the guy is hired). You wanna make sure the guy is right. That's comparing a EUR 15 lunch to expenses of a few 1000 euros.

True, but a few hours of time out of an art director and lead is way more than the food cost. But like you said, maybe the circumstances just worked out that way. I'm kind of looking at it from the perspective of a long distance recruit where they might have also had to pay for a flight/hotel, but maybe that wasn't the case here.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    From my experience the game industry is filled with quite, shy, but talented people (not all but a huge chunk). I'd almost want to say this sort of behavior is encouraged.

Just take a deep breathe and stop worrying about it. Companies want all different types. The day you're over it all and show up perfectly calm to an interview is the day the dude who was more nervous gets the job over you because they felt he fit the company culture better. Also people understand you become more relaxed over time. Better to be more humble during an interview than over the top.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon wrote: »
    .....wat? o_O
    +1