Home Technical Talk

3dsMax direct lights

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Noodle! polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys! I've been having some issues with direct lights in 3ds Max. They behave like direct lights in maya, coming from an infinite length behind them.
I didn't realise this was a problem until it turns out the rest of my team have direct lights that start where the direct light actually starts, so they can have them in a closed box for instance.

I've tried to find some setting I've changed but to no avail. Any help in getting this working is appreciated.

Replies

• PolyMonstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noodle! wrote: »
    Hey guys! I've been having some issues with direct lights in 3ds Max. They behave like direct lights in maya, coming from an infinite length behind them.
    I didn't realise this was a problem until it turns out the rest of my team have direct lights that start where the direct light actually starts, so they can have them in a closed box for instance.

I've tried to find some setting I've changed but to no avail. Any help in getting this working is appreciated.

Have you tried turning it on and off again? But in all seriousness, can you screenshot your scene, and the utility bar open up on your light to see what the settings are?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are a couple ways to do this in Max, depends on the lighting effect you want.

If you want to keep the rays parallel, position the Direct light inside the box, and set the Near and Far Attenuation distances.

If you want the rays to emanate in all directions from a single point, use an Omni light.

If you want the rays to emanate in a cone from a single point, use a Spotlight.

If you want more complex (natural) ray distributions, choose a Photometric or Area light.

The help file has tons of useful info...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you're looking for "Far Attenuation"? It's under "Intensity/Color/Attenuation"

This covers it in a little more detail.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=774270&postcount=8
  • Noodle!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noodle! polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for the reply guys, and sorry for my late reply. I'll try to get a screen from another persons computer to compare with mine to show you what I mean.

Chadwick: Using a Direct Light at the moment, since the effect you describe is the one I want, however it behaves wonky and not as Max tells me it would.

Mark: Attentuation on or off doesn't seem to matter. Or rather it works like a mix between maya and max in that case. Great post though, lots of good info in there.
    Again, I'll try to get some comparison shots after work to show you guys what I mean.
    There is a chance I'm just very retarded.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the realtime view in the viewport doesn't use attenuation, so it might only show up when you render.

Also you might just need to turn on shadows.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    I think the realtime view in the viewport doesn't use attenuation, so it might only show up when you render.

Also you might just need to turn on shadows.

Dont know about earlier versions but it works in 2011 with point lights so it'll probably work with direct.