Home Technical Talk

Smoothing groups uv issue

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
I've seen a lot of unwrap tutorials on the internet but i am stumped on how to unwrap this chainsaw correctly. It will be baked so I know about the smoothing groups and uv islands. The question is should I use auto smooth for this and break it up into uv islands? Because there are so many pieces to deal with.

ngaow1.jpg

Replies

• MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    I would explode it into separate elements and use auto smooth on each. Then piece by piece check if auto smooth did what you wanted. If not, correct it and unwrap each piece. Then merge it into one object and unwrap it to pack uvs. Doesn't look like it has SSSSSOOOOOOOOOO many pieces. On the front where you have those 2 bolts on a flat surface you can detach those. You will save all those tringles which creates this round shape from which bolts are extruded.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Do your UVs before you worry about smoothing. Then run a script to have your smoothing groups built from your UV islands. This means you will essentially have to be planning what edges you want to smooth while you do your UV layout.

You can find that script here:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1105439&postcount=7
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    You can do it other way around too ;] Set up smoothing groups and in unwrap use textools to make uv islands from smoothing groups. New max 2012 can do that too. Both ways work fine. Depends whats more confy for you.