Home General Discussion

Help me get a job/modeling suggestions

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
Hey everyone, I thought I would end up with 3 guns for my portfolio before I started applying for jobs, unfortunately the company didn't have anything else for me to do after 2.

So now i'm looking for modeling suggestions for my next piece, they say to model for the job you would like to get, and my dreamjob is bethesda, so bethesda styled pieces would be great.

Other than that, it was suggested to me that I polish up these (adding AO passes and specular maps) but i'm not sure it's really worth it, I don't feel they are up to par with what is in my current portfolio, but I was hoping you guys could let me know if it's worth it or not.

Medieval Set Page 1
Medieval Set Page 2
Medieval Set Page 3

My current pieces can be seen at www.DerrickDuckworth.com

Finally if there are any old pieces on my blog worth showing let me know, I got rid of my old stuff as I felt it was inferior and I have heard that you will be judged by your worst piece.

Sorry for the text heavy post, doubt i'll get any replies but if I do, THANKS FOR READING!!

Replies

• MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    I think that if Bethesda is your dream place you should focus on the art style they handle. TF2 is awesome and I love their style, but the reason their style is so awesome is because it's its own thing. So I'd say don't spend to much time on that and focus on the work you wanna be good at to get your dream job.
    If you just wanna make some items for the lulz I'd say go for it and make some TF2 models because it is fun. But if you wanna work for your portfolio I'd say drop the TF2 stuff.

As for glock and rifle they look solid, but like characters weapons are often more appealing if they have a bit of personality and a story to them, these are just out of the factory models with some minor scratches on them. I'm not saying you should rough them up and go all out with the scratch brush, but these just seem a bit to clean.
    Even though they are solid models they are a boring to the eye, just something to keep in mind for you next piece :)

Good luck!
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice and for reading :) I don't want to make any TF2 stuff for the lulz so I guess i'll just not spend any more time on them.

For the glock and rifle they were both for a company and were meant to look new with only minor wear, I can see that they are indeed fairly boring to look at, but I still enjoy them as solid pieces.

I definitely would like to work on some bethesda styled pieces but I can't think of anything and am having a hard time finding some concept art that isn't for skyrim or already done, I was hoping to find some stuff that perhaps never made it into oblivion or morrowind, if anyone has some links or pics please send them my way!
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    Make more stuff....no more guns, 2 is plenty. If you want to be an environment artist, make some environments, likewise with props or characters. If you are so unimaginative that you cant work out what you want to make, then you are doomed. In short, more artwork, less internet procrastination :D