Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Intenar (Image Heavy)

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Piflik polycounter lvl 12
Here's a race for a fantasy game (hobby project) I am currently working on together with a small group...I intend to create some different variants of the face and the skin/hair/eye color...and there will be at least one forth type of clothing, a black armor...C&C greatly appreciated...

Int_Base_Front_Tex.jpg
Int_Base_Back_Tex.jpg
Int_Hunt_Front.jpg
Int_Hunt_Back.jpg
Int_Warr_Front.jpg
Int_Warr_Back.jpg

between 9k and 11k triangles, 2k textures for the body, between 256 and 1024 textures for the different parts of clothing, depending on their size...maybe I'll reduce all of them one size smaller...

Replies

• Hypnoticat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some logical view. :-D I guess, that, in whole, this fellow looks cool. I really like it, but, to be honest, in opinion of the one unconversant with anatomy - he, that's a male, right?- he is oddly folded. I understand, that when the character is done, criticism of that kind is tardy as hell and not welcome, but here's some:
    1)the feet area is small and reminds me Ungulata for some reason, but he has only one pair and could be very unstable, I suppose.
    2)the joints (are they joints?) over the feet are forced to stand the huge load, but I could be wrong...
    3)the arms muscular system is strange, looks like arms are too slim near the shoulders.
    4)Pinkies are tiny, that's strange for the creatures able to produce some stuff like clothes and weapons (evolution and so...).

That's not critical, and tardy, but could be useful next time. :)

Alright, if we drop thinking about their anatomy, they could look as they want in their own world, we don't know why, but we've accepted that fact... Let's look on other things.
    Armour is looking neatly done, they used some rivets and metal buckles to do the job, but loincloth is very primitive next to this armour he wear.
    Straps and other leather could have some more texture/normals detail, they are looking bit plain now and need some more work to look tasty, you may want to balance the colors of armour materials as well. I still don't get how the mask doesn't fall, by the way...

Well, you can call me faultfinder after that, but I tried to help. :-D Overall he looks good, as I've already said.
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    So Faultfinder ;)

The mask has some metal that hooks behind his forehead...not the most firm of attachment possible, but I couldn't think of straps that wouldn't look bad or clash with the hair...I didn't want to change the hair just for the mask, especially since I want to create multiple hairstyles and would have to then change them all, when he wears a mask :D

The loincloth is intentionally primitive...they are a very pragmatic people and I wanted a contrast between higher quality armor and the more mundane 'private' clothing...

Regarding the anatomy...I think the feet should work...I can stand and walk on my toes like that and since they are the only non-human sentient race in the game, I wanted them to have a different anatomy to standard humans. That's also the reasoning behind the small pinky fingers and toes...

And don't worry about criticizing too much...I do the same and normally mainly mention the faults...since that is the kind of criticism I would like to hear...hearing where I did good is nice, but hearing where I can do better, is helpful ;)
  • Hypnoticat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right, it's clear that you don't want to redo anything fundamental in his anatomy, 'cause it is equal to catastrophe of redoing much work again. So I won't argue with you about it, if you wish so. In spite of that creature is walking on two limbs and needs to have pivots not to fall down and smash his head. You've provided that eventuality, his head looks ready for that kind of trouble... :D
    On other side, if you have some time and interest to make him lose discords in his look, it would be great.

Now I noticed, that armour can't be taken off, it needs buckles!

Wait, his head has some kind of "shield" like triceratops? Maybe some kind of loops on the "horns" and strap on the bottom of the mask, going round the head? Hm... I didn't see that metal "hook". Won't it hurt the owner? And yes, it's look like it isn't able to hold the mask. Don't you think the mask decreases the field of view better, than protects it's owner?

Hair? Why don't you just make helmet\mask\etc. with hair sticking out of it or something like that? Not too hard with that hair it looks.

Oh...