Home Technical Talk

Sunday Spammin' - Explosions?

Second thread in a day :P

I'm looking around online to find out how to render out the needed things to make gta iv-like explosions in Grit Game Engine.

My task is to hopefully come up with the sprite sheets to give to our programmer to sort the way he likes and put them in working order in the game engine.

I've found some dinky "explosion generators" software that basically takes a few params and renders you out some sheets,

however isn't it a really good skill to have to know how to setup a particle + make it look like fire, render it to a sprite sheet, and pat self (and polycounters <3) on the back?

Blender or Max, either or.

I'm up for any documentations you guys know about, I'm off to the wiki to check there too and will make sure that if I figure it out, I outline it here and link the relevance.

It might not even be the right approach (sprite sheet), it might just be a few images doing a few translations on scale, rotate, and movement:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUP9GV4qvfg[/ame]

I want to make that. The smoke and the boom, don't need the weirdly too uniformly spread shrapnel stuff to start off.

Any advice/magic tuts/recommended reference? Like I said, I've been googling around, pretty much since my last post, and it might be a case of failing with terminology and not a lack of info - could just be searching the wrong stuff?

Been searching things along the lines of "rendering explosions for game engines" "creating explosion sprites for particles" etc etc - no luck on my own and I'd really like to make something like seen in the linked vid.

Thanks in advance - I hope someone here has made explosions! =)

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's mostly about using particle systems, so you should learn all you can about them.

Explosions can be very complex systems, with camera-facing particles, mesh-chunk particles, intricate timing, lights cued by particles, collision-spawned particles, etc. etc.

Depends highly on your game engine though, as to what particle effects it supports. Does it have a particle tool, or does your programmer have to make one? How well does it handle transparency sorting? Can your target hardware support the overdraw cost (framerate slowdown) of all those overlaid transparent camera-facing polygons?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message