Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Badass Zombie Slayer character

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
I've been working on this fellow for the past couple of days. He's Isaac Slayman, a licensed Dead Hunter (One who kills undead), and the self-proclaimed 'Badass Zombie Slayer'. After becoming infected with the stuff that made said zombies, he ends up being mostly immune, so he only ends up being about 10% zombie.

Slayer6.png
Slayer7.png
Slayer8.png

He wields a chainsaw sword dubbed Muramasaw, 'cause it's cursed, and fuels itself using the blood of its victims; An ability gained after a horrific accident involving a sleepy lumberjack, seven golf balls, three-and-a-half feet of nylon rope, and a fence post.
Chainsawrd3.png
Chainsawrd4.png

They're both still near the end of the blocking stuff out phase, so there aren't any textures yet.

EDIT: Felt like testing how well I managed the edgeflow of the mouth:
GAMEFACE2.png
GAMEFACE.png

Replies

• Mik2121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    Reminds me of Travis from No More Heroes.

Looks fine, but those teeth look way too cartoon-ish. Do you plan on render it out with a toon shader or get a similar looking real time renderer?

Otherwise, it seems like you got some nasty smoothing-groups issues all around. Also regarding the body, the way you made it, it looks like it's going to fall forwards. I know it's a t-pose, but you might want to have it stand on a more relaxed position and just get the bones set up from there.

Last but not least, the weapon looks good, but some of the edges you got around don't seem to make much sense. Specifically the ones I outlined in red here:

db5t9.png

On the handle, right now they are barely changing the silhouette of the weapon. In many places you're going low-poly, then why not do the same in the handle? And if you want some detail, make the shape a bit easier to tell from far away. Also, on the 3 tubes sticking out from the base of the weapon, there is an edge in the middle of each one that's doing nothing, so yeah, that one should go too. And lastly, in the middle of the sword there's an edge that has the same problem as the ones in the handle. It's not changing the shape of the weapon and unless you want it for UV packaging or repeating texture purposes, it's not doing much there.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    the pictures, particularly the one with the teeth bared, makes me think of the shading from Killer 7. which is funny, cause as the previous poster said the character makes me think of Travis. And with the last name Slayman, it really follows that vibe.
    proceed..
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    barnesy polycounter lvl 9
    I like what you have got so far and I think you have done a great job with the low poly models topology. You need to sort out the smoothing on the face as youve got some harsh edjes there.

I'd love to see some high poly midelling, have you managed to get him into a sculpting package yet?
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys; critiques have been considered and are being acted upon. And yeah, this stuff is definitely inspired by Suda51. I'd totally love to get him into one, Barnesy, but I don't own any! T_T

Did a bit of modification to his jaw:
    Slayer10.png

And since you guys brought up toon shaders...
    Slayerstare.png
    Did I mention that his teeth are like that 'cause he's 10% zombie?
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heyy nice job ! looking sweet
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    barnesy polycounter lvl 9
    Ahhhh fair enough. Well heres a free sculpting poackage that might be worth checking out, it's like a baby ZBrush - http://www.sculptris.com/
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the link Barnesy. I'll have to check that out later.

Finished the goggles, as well as trying out some visual styles right quick:
    Slayer12.png
    Slayer13.png
    Slayer11.png
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Back to this guy, as you might've seen. Talon was kind enough to make me a lovely shader:
    Slayman22.png

I've also made Muramasaw look a bit less normal:
    Mura.png
    It's like Soul Edge, but cooler. 'Cause it's a chainsaw.