Home Technical Talk

Memory sticks

So I just got my order of laptop memory. I know it's the right type and I'm not going over capacity for my laptop. Just wanted to rule out that I'm not a total idiot.

Funny thing is that my laptop can support 8 gigs. The laptop was originally shipped with 4 gigs and I ordered another 4 gigs two weeks ago. The order came today but to my delight [and surprise] I got 8 gigs instead of 4. I didn't get charged any more so I guess it's a lucky thing. I got double product by accident in other words.

Anyways I'm thinking instead of sticking in another 4 gig stick and having two kinds of memory in my laptop, that I should use both of the new sticks and remove the memory currently in the laptop so then after they're installed, both sticks are from the same manufacturer. Do you think this is a good idea? I heard that it's important for all memory inside of a particular computer to be from the same manufacturer.

So my question is that, and also would win 7 x64 have trouble detecting my full 8 gigs when it's all installed or would it be an automatic thing? Also how would I look in the computer to see that all 8 gigs are being used and not 7 or something?

I upgraded my memory on my previous laptop, the Alienware thing so I think I can unscrew the back of my Asus one and give it a shot.

Thank you PC

Replies

• Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    win 7 detects your memory automatically.

ram from different manufacturers can sometimes cause troubles. the chance is not very high though, but if your pc gets crashes, this may be the cause (happened to me with an old thinkpad).

of course both memory sticks should have the same specs if you plan on mixing - for added reliability.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you see anything that would go catastrophically wrong while installing memory? I seem to always have problems when I install new parts. I'm thinking I might need to back up all my data before I do this, in case the laptop gets bricked up or I might have to revert to old memory or if I do that it won't detect old memory? I might be paranoid as hell but I swear bad things like this always happen to me.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Installing ram in your computer is, simply put, the easiest thing you could possibly do.

What you need to look out for however is:
    A. That you're installing it in the right direction, if you try to jam it in backwards you can damage your ram/computer
    B. That it is properly and firmly set into the ram slot. I think with laptops they make this very simple.

If you have any problems, just make sure that the ram is set in correctly.

Go with the two new ram sticks from the same manufacturer, this is always a good idea.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try to get a hold of and use a antistatic wrist strap during the procedure as well. I've heard that RAM is somewhat fragile to static discharge, better safe than sorry.

Good luck.
  • mortalhuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you entirely sure you didn't get 2 2gb sticks?
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    will install tonight see how things go
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess things are working ok. Install went good. Will see how much more performance I get out of Maya
    I've never lagged in PS so I guess that's a good thing
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now that you got your new ram installed you might want to run it through something like Memtes86 just to make sure it's all good.

That way if it detects anything bad you can get replacements before the time you can return/replace from where ever you bought them from runs out.

Unfortunately the best way to do this is to remove all but one stick and test them one at a time, which is a slow and tedious process...