Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My Off Limits work - seeking employement

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
WesleyTack polycounter lvl 7
Hey,
I wanted to show some of the work I've done over the past few years on the Source engine for my Half-Life² modification I co-founded a long time ago (2003) called Off Limits. For this mod I learned 3DSmax / Source / HAMMER and everything to do with world building levels from scratch to final. The modification took so long to create because most of it was done by 2 people (1 artist 2D/3D/mapping (myself) and 1 programmer/scripter). We've had countless contributions though, but most of that was filtered through us before it went in game. We also had Jon St. John (the voice of Duke Nukem for those who don't know) doing the team commands for us.

Back in 2007 I was hired by DICE to work on Mirror's Edge and Battlefield Bad Company 2. This because of the work I've done on this mod at that time. After working for them for 18 months I left DICE for multiple reasons, one being to finish this project and get it released after all these years. I wanted to fully focus on this as it still needed a lot of work done from my end (or lack of finding people to help out). I worked alone finishing three levels over the past two years while simultaneously doing many other things this mod needed (UI/HUD/menus/weapon fixes/etc etc...).

We are now doing a closed beta session but hopefully we will release the mod to the public within the next few weeks as the open beta proved to be quite successful already in bringing us feedback and bugs to our attention. Work on an update is on the way and I hope it will be out somewhere within the next few weeks. Then everyone will be able to play the game. I have sorted out 4 US servers and 4 EU servers to play on already! ;)

You can check out a lot more on my portfolio/blog if you're interested. I have WiP material and videos scattered across my blog section and also my production work from DICE on it.

ol_styx:

5476807550_1cf520b26a_o.jpg

5476808114_5ff1ecb94a_o.jpg

5476208749_058260d0d7_o.jpg

5476209859_656a0ec931_o.jpg

5476811390_ea0fecda2c_o.jpg

5476211787_2359dfe35b_o.jpg

ol_undersiege:

5476856398_a936c31a73_o.jpg

5476858654_beef6b2968_o.jpg

5476255957_4005d7e2ae_o.jpg

5476860864_b57641b8a7_o.jpg

ol_russia (originally created by Robert Briscoe: My changes to this level can be viewed here):

5476769306_50766ecef6_o.jpg

5476769736_0a196a09cc_o.jpg

5476170907_d4e6b6fd26_o.jpg

5476772210_f63fb6fd7f_o.jpg

5476171993_bcd2db467a_o.jpg

5476772792_da0bcbe6c4_o.jpg

You can check out some of the models I made for these maps on my portfolio here.

I'll let you know when we've finished the new update, and I hope to see you all playing it some day! There is game play footage available on our ModDB profile page in the videos section. Hope you like it!

Now to find something new to work on...

- Wesley Tack

Replies

• JoseConseco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseConseco greentooth
    Great envrio stuff you have here WesleyTack. If I remember correctly your work have been shown in polycount news section some time ago.
    I'm not envrio guy, but on thing kinda bugs me is there is not much specularity going one. I mean every surface should have it, imo, even if it is tiny bit eg. road.
    So this will be some kind of shooter mod? or just maps? Also I kinda don't get it why you left such awesome company as DICE to finish mod? Don't get me wrong, your work is awesome, but I feel like most guys are doin'g mods to get hired by such company as dice, and you did reverse... weird
    Well I will go to you blog now../
  • WesleyTack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WesleyTack polycounter lvl 7
    I didn't know there was news about this posted here before?
    About the specular, you're right, they don't have any (except for windows and chrome and whatnot). The reason for this is because of the huge levels the swap_buffers were very high and I could only fix it by removing spec and normals. That was long ago, maybe Source engine deals with them better nowadays. It's a shooter, check out the moddb page it's all explained there. About me leaving DICE, I said it was one of the reasons, not THE reason :) But yes, DICE is awesome and I loved working there.
  • JoseConseco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseConseco greentooth
    I tried to find this news post but no luck. I'm sure I saw your youtube link already, but maybe it wasn't from news... Maybe someone else will find it.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
  • percydaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work! I'm actually getting a little fatigued with the specular/normal look that's so prevalent these days. Probably cause it's so heavyhanded quite often. Been meaning to do a project of this type of style for awhile now.