Home Technical Talk

Asset Packages in UDK

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
8-Bit polycounter lvl 6
Hey Polycounters,
I've got a newb question about the UDK. For my senior thesis I'm building an environment in the UDK that people can run around in and explore utilizing a library of assets that I've created myself. I've been able to create a package in the UDK editor and save it to the content directory in UDK's filing system. No problems there. Everything runs fine on my PC at home. Where I'm running into issue is if I try to copy that Package onto a flashdrive and work on it at school the assets don't load up. It sees the package but no toys inside, and since the assets wont load it fails to load the level and the UDK crashes. (sorry about the run-ons).

*Not to make this too convoluted, but it might be worth noting that initially I had the package saved in an external file on my desktop, however UDK didn't like that and after 5minutes it would crash the PC so I moved the file.

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    There shouldn't be a problem sharing a package around unless you're trying to load a package SAVED in a newer version of UDK and trying to load in an older version of UDK.
  • 8-Bit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    8-Bit polycounter lvl 6
    Nope. I've got the April update both at home and at school. It just doesn't load. Something else I was curious about though (not sure if related) Ever since I've moved the package from the desktop file to the Content folder under UDK the assets I added before moving the file don't show up unless I click unload all. Is there a way to keep them all unloaded? Maybe this has something to do with why they disappear at school.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Have you tried right clicking on the package and choose Fully Load?

Think that should fix it :)
  • 8-Bit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    8-Bit polycounter lvl 6
    Well that's what I meant when I said I have to click on unload all. (sorry for the mix-up in terms) But I was wondering if there was a way to save out the package so that I don't have to do that again and it just pre-loads with everything showing. Also, I did try that at school but it said something about the assets being Null. I assume it's trying to read from someplace that doesn't exist. Now, I'm very new like I said, but I thought that once an asset was saved to the package it became a part of that package and didn't need to read from anywhere else.

By the way, thanks guys for helping me with this.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Try this...

Save your package at home or wherever,

Bring it to school, and copy/paste it to the C:/UDK > UDKGame > Content > Environments directory (The .upk)

This way, when UDK loads, the package will already be in the directory on the bottom left in the content browser, under "Packages." And, make sure to right click it and hit "Fully Load."

If that doesn't work, then I don't know what the problem is, because old packages are stored in previous dated UDK folders like "UDK-2011-02, UDK-2011-03," and so on.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    The engine will only load stuff thats in the level. No sense to just load all of them. The Null stuff is that somewhere you have a mesh placed in your level but you deleted it from the package. Its just that UDK sees it in the level but has no clue how to "draw" it since it cant see the file in the package. Personally, I tend to save my packages inside of a level folder. So structure is like this:

UDK/MAPS

Master Folder
    - Level
    - Package
    - Static Mesh Folder
    - Textures Folder
  • 8-Bit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    8-Bit polycounter lvl 6
    Hey thanks for your help guys. I haven't been too school yet to test if everything will work, but I'm going to try what tristamus and haiddasalami said. Hopefully it works, if not then I guess there's maybe one more bug for the good people at Epic to worry about.

haiddasalami, out of curiosity are you storing the original model and texture files in those folders? or do you just have them broken up in the package that way? I'm pretty sure I don't need the original files as long as they're saved in the package, but I just wanted to make sure.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    I store the original (maya files etc) and my exported scene stuff(fbx,ase) all in that one master folder. Makes it easier for transferring the files between my home comp and college. I'm not certain whether you need to keep the exported objects but how would you re-import textures and stuff? I like to just replace the tga and in UDK right click on the texture and re-import.
  • 8-Bit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    8-Bit polycounter lvl 6
    Hey thanks guys. Turns out the version of UDK at school was a couple weeks old in comparison to the version I have at home. Everything loads up and runs fine at school now.

Out of curiousity how do you accomplish the blending between indoor and outdoor lighting. I was playing around in DM-Deck and they had used heightfog actors to create different hues of atmospheric lighting when you go between indoor and outdoor lighting. What I'm wondering is how do you create that blend within smaller areas of the level. When I use a height fog it creates a gradient over the entire gamespace, but I don't understand how they've designated it to little pocketed areas. Is it something to do with the additive and subtractive brush properties?
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    It is possible to blend heightfog's using certain settings on the heightfog entity itself...I cant remember what they are atm, but just experiment with the entity like crazy, and watch the changes, you'll figure it out eventually.